1970s PowerDyne Cougar

Ok, guys so I've got a pretty much OG bike here...

Now for the questions....

On the cougar it has a sissy bar that flows into shocks connected to the seat..or I should say bolted to seat and frame... If I wanted to get rid of the sissy bar could I use a different pair of shocks?...I like the bar but im thinking about removing and replacing shocks on the ass end..

Advice is appreciated, :bowdown:

I found the pics in your album...

Powerdyne was a wacky company...not much info on them but they seemed to build different model bikes on the fly just by bolting whatever components and decals were laying around. That is a Powerdyne sissy bar ,just like the one on the "Rail"...

That disc brake setup is the same as a "Rail" also....hard to find.

There's a cool cylindrical tank hiding under that fiberglass cover..originally it had a gas gage built into the cap. This is a hard tail Powerdyne I once owned.

Last edited:

markus

Ok, guys so I've got a pretty much OG bike here...

Now for the questions....

On the cougar it has a sissy bar that flows into shocks connected to the seat..or I should say bolted to seat and frame... If I wanted to get rid of the sissy bar could I use a different pair of shocks?...I like the bar but im thinking about removing and replacing shocks on the ass end..

Advice is appreciated, :bowdown:

I'm sure you could, only thing I see on your model is the seat is kinda short, the sissy bar comes out past it, If you were to lose the bar and just mount shocks the way it is, it might look a little odd, A longer seat might be in order to pull it off, but that might throw the look of the rest of the bike off, just gotta play around with it:thumbsup:

Yeah..i wasnt forsure but ive seen birds with rear shocks...or i guess you call it a Bober? Because it supposeably throws you up? Idk.... but here check it out used elbow grease and got all the chrome pretty nice...still gunna do a vineager soak to get it all off thats what im doing with the OG tabk

Last edited:
I made the white walls im.still not finished , the bike came with 6" rims but im going to be useing 5" ones instead ..kept the chrome elbow grease got just about all the rust off, i could probley use some chrome polish to make it really shine...also got the new carb in the mail for the Hs50 Tec...painted the frame black

Ill.post pictures of the gas tank ...i soaked it in a bit of Muratic acid for 30 mins ..cleaned all the rust out of the tank.. an left a nice Patina on the outside i still done know if im.gunna use the tank because of its small size, wont be able to.cruise far without a pitstop.

I've been looking at this picture to which I have a twin to this bike and notice that the right peg is out further than the left peg. The only reason I can think of for this is that the bike could have had a big block engine on it? My Sears Roper has a 6hp (original) and it sticks out quite a bit further and could see that for this bike. Anyone know if Powerdyne used a big block motor on any of their bikes?

Not sure....hs50 on it when bought an had been sitting for years.

I'm also probley gunna go with a scrub brake idk about the caliper brake, plus can't go wrong with a scrub! Oh yeah I also put the new carb back on...fires right up, :thumbsup:

Not sure....hs50 on it when bought an had been sitting for years.

I'm also probley gunna go with a scrub brake idk about the caliper brake, plus can't go wrong with a scrub! Oh yeah I also put the new carb back on...fires right up, :thumbsup:
Engine might have been correct for it.

As for the scrub brake, come to Windber with it, ride it first thing in the morning down hill and then tell me you can't go wrong with it :laugh: I nearly took a big fall on my Arco last year from the morning dew on the tires. :laugh: