1971 Rupp Roadster 2 questions!

Hey guys, couple questions on my 1971 Rupp Roadster 2

My tank has some rust in it, anyone have any remedys. and someone JB welded the fuel valve on and its original, it leaks so i'm gonna replace it but i might nto be able to get it off becuase its JB welded, anyone have any suggestions!

Still very pleased with this bike, it was in this guys family since new and his for the last 10 years.

Anyone know the proper sparkplug for this bike and gap It has a Champion something like J19LM or something, I could cross it with a E3 plug, should I, better or worse?

Also woudl any share any tips/info on any tricks with gettin the most power out of this baby and make it run the best it can!

Let me know guys! THanks

Wrong plug! Should be a Champion CJ8 gapped at .030 . I've seen them at lowe's.

BTW- Stay away from the gimmicky overpriced plugs, IMO.

Tom.

As far as hopping up your bike, try to locate a HS50 engine and buy some parts for it. Your original HS40 is worth some $$ and I wouldn't want to mess it up trying to hot rod it. Brandt at ruppparts has a shim head gasket that should be fairly safe to run on your HS40, tho. I'm going to try one myself.

Tom.

allright, thanks alot sparky, ya i saw one at advance auto, they are like $1.50for that CJ8

Thanks for the other info, knowing that I might want to just keep mine stock, instead of messing with stuff.

Also what kind of oil do you use in these, I could be wrong but i know most lawnmower and snowblower engines use SAE30.

Do you also know how much oil it takes?

Thanks, Dan

Thanks alot sparky, I bought to CJ8's yesterday at advanced auto, I also ordered 2 carb gaskets a carb kit and a petcock fron Brandt at ruppparts.com. And I bought new fuel line, fuel line clamps and an inline see thru fuel filter.

So far I spent about $50 on the bike (on the items above), not bad so far!

The drain plug for the oil is in the front of the bike right? Looks like when i drained it its gonna go all over the front of the bike lol :eek:ut:

The drain plug for the oil is in the front of the bike right? Looks like when i drained it its gonna go all over the front of the bike lol :eek:ut:

LOL, it sure is. Brandt made up a nice little extension for on there. Tell him you need one. Or if he already shipped your stuff go to a hardware store and buy a 4" nipple and cap. It think it's 1/4 pipe thread.

I put a small bucket under the front of the engine and pull the plug then wipe excess oil from the frame when done. I didn't want an extension on mine, more chance for leaks. Also, Brandt carries a neat drain plug with magnet to catch metal particles out of the oil.

i think you had the right plug in their. 17lm or 19lm is what hs 40 calls for per champion. I dont think cj8 is proper plug, but im sure it will work just as well.

allright good cause i bought 2 CJ8's yesterday

i knwo i probably have points igntion but how do you tell the difference between points and solid state ignition.

I have the original manual for the Compact cycle owners guide for the Rupp minicycle 2. I also have an original Rupp roadster in perfect condition with all factory parts, headlights, luggage rack etc. It was started l0 years ago and ran, but has been in storage. It probablyl has less than l00 miles on it.
There is a governor in the throttle controls, spark arrestor information etc in that manual, manual says adjust gap at .030 and with the roadster it needs to have the spark arrestor cleaned. It has 2. One is a separate screen and the other is part of the muffler.

capguncowboy

I have the original manual for the Compact cycle owners guide for the Rupp minicycle 2. I also have an original Rupp roadster in perfect condition with all factory parts, headlights, luggage rack etc. It was started l0 years ago and ran, but has been in storage. It probablyl has less than l00 miles on it.
There is a governor in the throttle controls, spark arrestor information etc in that manual, manual says adjust gap at .030 and with the roadster it needs to have the spark arrestor cleaned. It has 2. One is a separate screen and the other is part of the muffler.
This thread is more than 5 years old