1981 used Tecumseh 4hp, HS40 for sale, $125 plus shipping

I bought a 81 Sears Green Streak from a swap meet to build to a customers specs.
The bike came with the original Tecumseh 4hp HS40 on it.
It had spark and compression and would run if some gas was dribbled in the cylinder but the carb wouldn't let fuel in.
I installed a diaphragm carb from a snowblower FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY. I Know it isn't the correct carb but it proved the engine runs just fine.
I opened the old float carb on it and it is gunked up bad. It doesn't look to be the correct carb anyway because the angle of the choke lever is wrong. I consider the carb to be junk.

The engine is in good physical shape. It has a Taylor muffler and the angled carb intake adapter on it.
It is for sale for $125 plus shipping, or best offer.

I'll include the old junk carb but not the Wrong diapragm carb. I use that for testing engines.
Here are some pictures of the engine on the bike with the included carb, air cleaner, clutch and muffler. Yes, the muffler has rust on it. It is not factory perfect as this is a used 1981 engine.

The numbers on the shroud are HS40-55515H SER 1253B.

I can provide close up pictures of any area of concern. Just let me know what you want to see.
I may be able to post a short video of it running with the snow blower carb too.

One of the pictures below shows it with the wrong carb on it.
The engine will come with the old used untested clutch also.

Note: This is not a perfect engine. I know a lot of people expect absolute perfection when they buy a used item. This isn't perfect. It is a used 1981 engine. It has dirt, dust, scratches, chipped paint, dents, broken pull start handle and all the other imperfections a 37 year old engine will have. As is, No warranties expressed or implied. The minibike is not included in this sale. Only the engine with clutch is for sale.
Engine will be shipped WITHOUT OIL. I will drain all I can from it to avoid a shipping mess.

Thanks for viewing this ad.
Danford1

Last edited:
Here are some closer pics of the muffler and factory angled carb adapter. I've had interest in selling the muffler alone. I know the carb adapters are valuable also. I may be interested in parting this engine out. You can PM me offers and what parts you are interested in if you don't want to post them here.
It also has a Comet two speed clutch on it with two drive sprockets.
Thanks.
Danford1

Last edited: