1st Post!

Gatecrasher

Hello everyone.

This is my 1st post on the forum (introduction).

Love minibikes.

Specialize in Kawasaki MT1/KV75 (currently own 4 of them). Had one in the 70s as a kid too.

Other interests/hobbies include:
  • Classic cars
  • Drag racing
  • Restoring classic pinball machines

I currently manufacture several plastic injection molded, profile extrusion and stamped metal restoration parts for 70s & 80s Bally/Stern pinball machines and sell them worldwide.

I am currently having my 1st batch of some hard to find parts reproduced for the MT1/KV75 that will be released in 2014.

I didn't see a section for the KV75. Sounds like there might not be a lot of "love" here for them? :shrug:

Welcome to the Forum.I also am kinda new here.I spend countless hours a day checking out threads.I'm interested in your classic pinball machines.Do you have any build loggs on a pinball forums.Also do you have any pictures or info on your plastic injection molded things?It sounds very interesting.

Gatecrasher

Welcome to the Forum.I also am kinda new here.I spend countless hours a day checking out threads.I'm interested in your classic pinball machines.Do you have any build loggs on a pinball forums.Also do you have any pictures or info on your plastic injection molded things?It sounds very interesting.
I am on the Pinside forum and RGP Google Group for pinball enthusiasts. I don't have any real build logs (although I have tons of pictures). I have restored probably around 100 pins over the years. I used to have 16 of my own but am now down to 8 machines (all immaculate "keepers").

I make several reproduction parts and am a Plastics Engineer by trade employed in the molding industry. Some of my pinball parts are manufactured under license and have exclusivity contracts with retailers and some don't. As you can imagine, in order to repop parts with copyrighted artwork or logos you must obtain a license.

Here's a link to one of my parts flyers of some stuff I can sell to the general public. Most of these are stamped or profile extruded: http://i50.tinypic.com/1zy78p.jpg

Here are a pair of pins you might recognize from my collection depending on your age. A 1979 Bally Kiss and a 1980 Bally Rolling Stones. I specialize in Bally solid state pins from the late 70s and early 80s but also work on earlier electromechanical pinball machines too.

Minibikes are a lot like pinball machines and classic cars as far as the restoration process goes.

Just like cars and minibikes, one can choose to restore a classic pin to all-original "concours" condition with explicit attention to detail using all OEM parts. Or, just like a minibike you can "customize" a pinball machine by chroming the legs, adding "toys" to the playfield and other mods that it didn't originally have from the factory.

It's a matter of taste.

Oh yeah, here are two of my Kawasakis after a spirited jaunt in the back yard:

I currently have four:
  • 1971 Kawasaki MT1 75 "Parnelli Jones" (basket-case winter restoration project)
  • 1973 Kawasaki MT1B 75 (mechanically-sound rider)
  • 1976 Kawasaki KV75-A5 (low-mileage nice rider)
  • 1976 Kawasaki KV75-A5 (virtual zero-mile mint survivor "show bike")

I like the more traditional old-skool minibikes too. :smile:

Welcome:thumbsup: You will fit right in here. I have a Ballys pinball machine, Black Pymarid. I would really like to get a "8 Ball Deluxe". That was my favorite machine in the late 70's.:thumbsup:

Gatecrasher

more pics of your kawasaki please:laugh:
Here's my winter project sitting next to the other 1976 KV75-A5.

A 1971 Kawasaki 75 MT1 Parnelli Jones "Dynamite" (it's fully disassembled now). It should be pretty-nice when I get it done. It will have some sentimental value to me since I used to have one just like it as a kid.

Here's another shot of the "trailer queen" 1976 KV75-A5. All-original everything except for the spark plug:

Below is the "rider" 1976 KV75-A5 which is also in excellent condition but has a few more miles on it and has been "modified" with stronger shocks, K&N filter, and a couple other minor revisions but it is still a largely original bike.

Little screamers. When I was a kid I used to blow all the Z50s away with my KV75.

lol

Nice pinball machines are definatly cool . I had one of those 75s . dragged it off the scrap pile . got it running and riding. It was the crappiest thing you coud imagine. I dont think there was one part on it that wasnt broken in some way. but it was still a fun bike. Sold it for 75 bucks after a few years :laugh:

Gatecrasher

Welcome:thumbsup: You will fit right in here. I have a Ballys pinball machine, Black Pymarid. I would really like to get a "8 Ball Deluxe". That was my favorite machine in the late 70's.:thumbsup:
Bally Eight Ball Deluxe is my all-time favorite too. It’s probably the most popular pinball title of all-time and I have restored more of them than any other pin.

Here are my two 1981 Bally Eight Ball Deluxe machines (for tournament play).

Quit talking and start chalking!!

I currently manufacture several plastic injection molded, profile extrusion and stamped metal restoration parts for 70s & 80s Bally/Stern pinball machines and sell them worldwide.
Hi and welcome.

What does it take to build an injection mold for say.....a certain kind of small, mini bike ABS gas tank?

Gatecrasher

A gas tank would more-likely be extrusion blow molded vs injection molded.

Extrusion blow molds are relatively inexpensive (compared to injection tooling). It still costs a few thousand dollars to have a single cavity aluminum production mold built. Prototype molds (which are short-lived and can only produce a limited number of parts) cost less and would probably be the way to go for something as low-volume as this would be.

But that's only half of the task. You will then still need to find a company to run the mold for you unless you happen to have a blow molding machine in your garage. When I have my parts molded there is a minimum quantity because anything less it isn't worth them even installing it in a machine. Subsequently, I don't run my molds but once ever few years or so and then it's usually only for a day and I have another ten years worth of parts.

I make some plastic backglass trim with profile extrusion dies and when I have it run, the minimum order is one-hour run time. Well in one hour the extrusion line can crank out 4 pallets worth of trim already cut to length. I haven't run them in several years now either but still own the tooling.

When I consider a project like this I need to ask myself some questions:
  1. What is the demand? (How many do I think I can sell?)
  2. What is the tooling investment cost?
  3. What are the production costs?
  4. What's the minimum quantity for production?
  5. What to set the piece price at?
  6. How many do I need to sell to break even?

Normally, I go with a 500 piece threshold which means if I don't think I can sell 500 pieces I will usually pass on the project.

If I think I can sell 500 pieces, then I divide my tooling costs by 500 to calculate a piece price. If it looks good, I go with it. I don't start making any profit until after the 1st 500 sold. All of my pinball parts are well past that milestone now and are profitable.

I don't know how many gas tanks you think you can sell but I would double-check the material they are molded from. ABS doesn't have the greatest chemical resistance to gasoline and wouldn't normally be used for a gas tank. Most motorcycle tanks are blow molded from high density polyethelene. Some newer ones are multi-layer plastic for improved barrier properties.

There is another option if you don't think you can sell 500 pieces.

You can have it quoted in Communist China.

Cost is dirt cheap but as you can imagine there are other risks involved in dealing with a company half way around the world that may or may not deliver a quality product to your specifications. Unless you are a big company, you probably aren't going to be making the trip to China to solve any manufacturing or communication issues.