2 stroke MCculloch mini

hey guys any of you running a 2 stroke on you're mini i am running a mc 49 and not sure what mix to run the original manual says 20 to 1 sae 40 2cycle i have run blendzal before hard starts and fouled plugs am i running the wrong mix also can you run synthetic oil like redline on the older 2 strokes

Neck

Growing up is optional
How old is that Mac? 20 to 1 is from the days they recommended using motor oil to mix with. Modern mixing oils work soooo much better, and foul plugs much less. I ran up to 40 to 1 in my dirt bike using golden spectro, and I mix 32 to 1 for my weed wacker without fouling plugs. I think you should use the mixing guide lines on the mixing oil bottle, they know their stuff.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

I'm thinking that because modern 2-stroke oils have a much better fomulation to eliminate fouling why would it be a good idea, when useing it in an expensive collector engine, to mix it at 40 to 1? 20 or 25 would be fine and a lot safer and is not going to foul the plug in a Mac unless it is so rich on air/fuel mixture that it won't run anyway. Just because the lable on some modern oils lists a mix as lean as 40 to 1 doesn't mean it's a good idea except under certain conditions. Heck, slingshot's engine may be equipped with jetting and a pipe that guarntees that it will be super lean on the mid or upper RPM range. Or even a poor drive side crank seal. In that case 40 to 1 would be a for sure disaster.

Use the Honda brand pre-mix at 32:1.

Honda has huge resources & extensive R&D. I've asked several engine builders, racers, etc. The Honda lube is a reoccurring recommendation.

Treat that Mac with the respect & care that it deserves. Fresh seals, rings & monitoring your exhaust gas temperatures would be a good idea.

PS. Old Salt's advise is good stuff.

Last edited: