2002 KJ Advice needed...Anyone?

C9H13NO3

I need new wheels for my KJ (Already lifted the Cherokee), and I'm having some trouble.

I need to run the stock CVs so I'm limited to 3" lift, but I need to install a 16x7 tire which would clear the flares, but might hit over bumps since the thing has 165,000 miles on it.

1:

Now, I can either get the new OEM shocks and install them and not really have to worry too much over rough terrain, but I might end up rubbing.

2:

Or I can spring for the 2" lift kit and not replace the CVs, and run 4" backspacing on a 16x8 wheel. Problem is the CVs have alot of miles on them, and I don't know if they'll hold.

This is going to be my plow vehicle this winter so the higher I can go the better.

Anyone have an opinion on option 1 vs. option 2?

So, if you're plowing, why lift it at all? My best plow truck was stock height with a slightly more agressive trail/road tire. I plowed in 2WD most of the time.

C9H13NO3

So, if you're plowing, why lift it at all? My best plow truck was stock height with a slightly more agressive trail/road tire. I plowed in 2WD most of the time.
Because the weight of the plow makes the car almost undrivable at speeds of 25+, since the suspension of the car is old and worn out.

I think I'm going to go with some OME shocks paired to 16x7 Cragar soft 8's and 4" of backspacing.

Better suspension, I don't need to lift it to get my wheels on, and I can keep my CVs that I have now.

Hey chad, do you know of a place I can get the thing painted? Its going to be my daily driver in the fall/spring/summer and I want the thing to look good.

I'm not taking it to Maaco, that is for sure. :laugh:

Because the weight of the plow makes the car almost undrivable at speeds of 25+, since the suspension of the car is old and worn out.

I think I'm going to go with some OME shocks paired to 16x7 Cragar soft 8's and 4" of backspacing.

Better suspension, I don't need to lift it to get my wheels on, and I can keep my CVs that I have now.

Hey chad, do you know of a place I can get the thing painted? Its going to be my daily driver in the fall/spring/summer and I want the thing to look good.

I'm not taking it to Maaco, that is for sure. :laugh:
Good paint isn't cheap....:doah: It's not Maaco's paint work that's horrible, it's their prep work. Actually, try your local tech school. most of them have better booths than I've ever sprayed in and only cost materials.

C9H13NO3

Good paint isn't cheap....:doah: It's not Maaco's paint work that's horrible, it's their prep work. Actually, try your local tech school. most of them have better booths than I've ever sprayed in and only cost materials.
Will do.

When I got the Cat from you did you see how low my jeep was sitting!! I'm justifying the shocks just from a "safety" point of view.

C9H13NO3

Anyone know where I can get some quality paint? For my minis I normally just use an enamel but I don't think that'll cut it for a car.

Anyone?

I've shot some of the Dupli Color pre-packaged stuff. Not too shabby. Napa used to sell Martin Seynour which was made by Dupont. Again, it's all in the prep work.

I just ordered a lift kit :biggrin:

1.5" OME lift, made for a heavy load and got the leveling kit with it.

Got some 16x7 wheels with it. They're called soft 8's. And they're awesome.

I'm going with black for the body, and silver accents.

Anyone want some wheels with BRAND new tires?

They have less than 100 miles on them, and the spare tire has never been used. The plating is beginning to peel on the wheels, but they could easily be repainted.

I'd cut a deal for you OldMiniBikes members :thumbsup:

you need to use a flex agent in the primer and finish paint for the flares , consider silver with satin black for accents flares etc. its easy to touch up the black down the road and black shows every sin if you use it on the body

Any auto body supply store. Like I said, most Napa's carry automotive finishes. I'd second the flex agent and probably spray an adhesion promoter too.

Man only 1.5??? I'm going for about 6 or 7 inches in my ranger. Spend some money and get yourself some nice bilstein shocks. I'm guessing the 1.5 lift is just coil spacers so you suspension will not inprove whatsoever. As far as tires go I doubt you will ever take it offroad you'll just mall crawl with it I'd get some 33/12.50 R16 bfg all terains they are the cheapest a/t and they are pretty agressive and last for along time, but your gonna pay more for tires cause you got 16 inch rims. You should of just stuck with some 15's. Go to 4wheelparts.com and get a free subscription to their mag. They have alot of product reviews and good info for 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Man only 1.5??? I'm going for about 6 or 7 inches in my ranger. Spend some money and get yourself some nice bilstein shocks. I'm guessing the 1.5 lift is just coil spacers so you suspension will not inprove whatsoever. As far as tires go I doubt you will ever take it offroad you'll just mall crawl with it I'd get some 33/12.50 R16 bfg all terains they are the cheapest a/t and they are pretty agressive and last for along time, but your gonna pay more for tires cause you got 16 inch rims. You should of just stuck with some 15's. Go to 4wheelparts.com and get a free subscription to their mag. They have alot of product reviews and good info for 4 wheel drive vehicles.
Yeah. I want it to be MPG not GPM. :doah:

No, not just coil spacers. Brand new OME shocks and springs.

I already take it off road now, whats to stop me from going off road once I am slightly more capable?

I'm not a mall crawler. Nor a poser. I don't need a 6" lift to look badass. It happens naturally.

Well it is a HEEP so your gonna get crap for gasmileage anyways. 1.5 inches doesn't give you much more travel. I suspose it be alright for mudding and some mild poser flex:laugh: but If you want to go on any actual ORV park your gonna want at least 33's and mabey a 4 inch lift. There's onlyu so much you can do to stock suspension. Shoot my ranger with 33's on a 6 inch lift still gets 18 mpg mixed and I have a pretty big V6 in it.