2015 BUILD OFF ENTRY- Vintage Class Lil Indian

I pulled the head off the Briggs to prep for stripping and found a hole in the piston.... It is garbage... I will find another motor...

Why is the whole motor junk if the piston has a hole. Can't you just replace the piston.
The motor was purchase used on a past bike. It ran, but didn't have a lot of power on the low end. I thought it was because it was a 2 1/2hp?.. I disassembled it this morning and there is a 3/8 hole in the piston. The bore didn't look that good either.. It is apparent that it had been run hot. I have a lead on a 70 5hp Briggs or I might use my Tecumseh.. It's not worth rebuilding to me..

Jack's what Is the correct engine for this bike ? I never find out when I built mine so I did a 3hp Briggs.

Last edited:
What is it. A lil Indian. Every time it see your avatar I think it is a ruttman. Not so much now that the pic is bigger

Your red bike is a Ruttman washer, the early version. It's like the black bike I build for my son and the chrome one I aquired.. The Ruttman and the Lil Indian frames look the same except for the front of the frame and the brake. Both used the Briggs on the earlier models and then change to the Tecumseh in the end. Here is the link to the history. Little Indian History Allied Leisure Corp. Farmington Hills, MI 800-521-6848

There has been quite a few thread discussions in depth that you can find on the search thread if you need more info.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I got my orders today. The Lil Indian stickers, bearings, and tubing. The neck tubing was the wrongs size but I can get that tomorrow. I'm going to have the machinists cut the sprocket spacers, laser cut the bad axle mount and the new neck tube. These need to be exact. I hope to have all welding done this week. Motor wise, I want to see what the early 5hp looks in the frame before I make a final decision...

Hounddog

This will be a nice build.....look forward to watching this one....Will a 5hp fit in the frame? Will be a fast little bugger!