2016 Vintage Tote Gote Model 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks to Bill and Pat for administering the 2016 Build Off, and thanks to Hent for the continued support throughout.

Thanks as well to the many participants. I generally do not offer comments in build threads, or refrain from doing so until a project is finished. I do follow all builds. So I mean no offence by my absence in your build threads, and wont be offended by a lack of comments in mine. I am after all, building this for me. :thumbsup:

This is a Bonham Tote Gote 500, referred to as the "Mini Gote." The center down tube angle shows this to be a later model, and this model in general was the last offering from the company. Originally equipped with a Briggs and Stratton 5HP, some of the bikes were equipped with Tecumseh H70's, and chrome fenders.

The "mini cup" (shown as stipulated by the rules) has been in my possession for nearly 50 years. As a boy in the 60's, I used to hang out near defunct copper mines near my home in Helena, Montana. Near the mines were always "dumps" where we would find antique bottles, and other interesting items from around the turn of the century. (1900)

During one such outing, I found this cup along with several other hand made porcelain items that would have been part of a little girl's play tea set. Many of the old bottles have been broken, or given away over the years, but I've kept these items most of my life, including several moves from one side of the planet to the other, and some small islands in between.

It was these nostalgic times as a boy in Montana in the 60's which drives my mini bike interest today. The inclusion of this cup for the Build Off is especially poignant to me in all that it represents.

Dave's in! Thanks for participating. I love the cup and story, that's pretty cool. Good luck with your build (which I already know is going to be a great one).

About 60 hours in to it. All paint stripped, most of the parts are sanded and corrosion removed. All seals and bearings have been received, or on the way.

Front fender required a lot of work, front forks were bent in "high speed" mode, and they have been aligned and straightened with slow pressure and propane heat. Rear fender mount fabrication still not right.

Many parts on the way from OldMiniBikes and a Cycle Store for tires. Power will be provided from a Briggs Raptor.

Several items slated for the chrome shop, so frame work will cease while that happens, giving me time to rebuild the engine.

I got a slab of Ash plywood, and will begin rebuilding the seat base and fabricating missing seat fasteners. (A Tote Gote thing)

Still need to spend another two or three hours hand sanding, then prime and paint.

Paint ideas are all over the chart. Maybe a red from HOK.

Lookin good man! What fenders are you using on that thing?
Thanks Davis, those are Gote fenders. The front was heavily corroded, cracked, and dented, but the rear was new.

Great progress Dave :thumbsup:
Thanks man. Three to four applications of paint stripper, followed by heavy detergent scrubbing with steel wool while the stripper is still on it. After that I start handing sanding with 100 grit, wire wheel in the corners. Once all of the corrosion is gone, I use polyester filler (fiberglass resin) mixed with a substrate, then sand, and so on. Then the primer, sealer, and paint.

Looks good Dave.

Are those Timken bearings still made here..?
Thanks Gerry. I purchased the bearings and seals from MIBearing. The UPC label says "Made in USA." I didn't find anything on the bearings and seals themselves.

For those needing the part numbers:

Nomenclature QTY Manufacturer Part Number
Fork Seal 2 Timken 6741 CR
Jack Shaft Bearing 2 Timken B1212
Jack Shaft Seal 2 Timken 240735
Axle Bearing 4 Timken LM11949
Axle Seal 4 Victor 64210

I purchased the bearings and seals from MIBearing. The UPC label says "Made in USA." I didn't find anything on the bearings and seals themselves.

For those needing the part numbers:

Nomenclature QTY Manufacturer Part Number
Fork Seal 2 Timken 6741 CR
Jack Shaft Bearing 2 Timken B1212
Jack Shaft Seal 2 Timken 240735
Axle Bearing 4 Timken LM11949
Axle Seal 4 Victor 64210
Cool. Its nice to know there are still a few stalwart companies that haven't sold their soul for the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.