22 vs 24mm mikuni

Is there that much of a difference?

I have a mitsubishi 4hp
and a 6.5 HF clone that I am putting in a couple of tote gotes.
the govoner will be removed from both engines. I'm making headers with mufflers that exaust out the back under the seats

I'm replacing the carbs on both engines, and I like the prices on the mikunis.
the prices for the 22mm and the 24mm are about the same.

Are the 22mm worth it If you can get a better deal on the 24mm?

Thanks Bill

125ccCrazy

Is there that much of a difference?

I have a mitsubishi 4hp
and a 6.5 HF clone that I am putting in a couple of tote gotes.
the govoner will be removed from both engines. I'm making headers with mufflers that exaust out the back under the seats

I'm replacing the carbs on both engines, and I like the prices on the mikunis.
the prices for the 22mm and the 24mm are about the same.

Are the 22mm worth it If you can get a better deal on the 24mm?

Thanks Bill

Bill,

the cheap 22 and 24mm mikunis on ebay are pretty much the same, The 22, 24mm measurement is taken at the gasket side, thats where they open the carb to get thier larger sizes but the venturis are nearly if not identical.. These are called taper bore carbs and are not true 22,24 or 26mm, the 22-26mm taper bores all flow nearly the same.... If you want a true 22,24 26mm ect you will have to upgrade to the Mikuni VM series carbs....These cheap knock offs dont all have the same jetting either, you can take a dozen carbs the same size and some will be jetted different, I've seen the 26mm come with 95 and 100 jets.. a true vm26mm will come with a 190 jet... A true VM22mm will come standard with a 100 main....The other issue with the cheap carbs is finding needles if you have to change one, they have some oddball sizes that don't match any of Mikuni's numbers... Main jets are available but I dont know if the pilots are the same as a true Mikuni, I never changed one of them yet..

So to answer your question you can go with either one and I doubt that you will notice much if any difference..

For the money they are a good carb, way better than the stock carb IMO..

Last edited:
pilot jets do interchande witgh mikuni you can get briggs animal intakes and file the holes in the mounting flange slightly and it will bolt right on to the clone 6.5 and the knock off carb bolts to the other side perfect

125ccCrazy

yep, that's what i did with mine. it took maybe a half hour of filing with a round file to get it to the right size. it was easy.
what did you do about the D port on the clone head? did you match port the intake to teh head or does part of the gasket surface around the port in the head show looking through the intake... basically is it a nice smooth flow or is there a ridge to disturb air flow into the engine?....

I seen guys using the animal intake but I was concerned about the ports matching..:confused:

i didn't mess with the ports at all. all i did was cut out the gasket so it would match the Animal spacer. i'm not too worried about getting the best flow possible at this point. i'll worry about that stuff when i really start getting into the motor.

The AGK and NR Racing adapters both blend into a D to match the intake port, their a chunk of change more but you get what you pay for...