223 idle not staying

bike will only idle on choke, but i went all the way up to a 52 idle jet and still runs only on choke. it will only idle off choke if you rev it.

Edit- i put the idle screw in all the way and the jet screw all the way out and it steadily idles at 1300 but that’s only with the idle in all the way

- Also i put a new spark plug in and it looks like this very black almost like charcoal feeling it’s not wet.

Also i don’t know if it’s maybe rings cussing it but i tend to see a little bit of white smoke while it idles but after a couple minutes it will go away and will shoot a very feint black smoke when revved

Attachments

Last edited:
You need to ask a question as well as provide us with necessary details, if you are asking a question or are you just showing us what you are working on. If you are asking a question, then follow the following steps.
1) what is your question
2) what kind of engine is this.
3) is it stock and if so did it used to run ok and if the answer is yes what changed, or did it just start doing this after sitting for X number of months?
4) If you changed anything, what did you change
5) is that picture the new sparkplug if the answer is yes then it is already gas fouled and has to either be cleaned or replaced. That condition is caused by either too rich or you have ignition issues, but most likely running too rich
6) worn or broken rings would leave a wet oily black plug, yours is dry not rings.

bike will only idle on choke, but i went all the way up to a 52 idle
bike will only idle on choke, but i went all the way up to a 52 idle jet and still runs only on choke. it will only idle off choke if you rev it.

Edit- i put the idle screw in all the way and the jet screw all the way out and it steadily idles at 1300 but that’s only with the idle in all the way

- Also i put a new spark plug in and it looks like this very black almost like charcoal feeling it’s not wet.

Also i don’t know if it’s maybe rings cussing it but i tend to see a little big of white smoke while it idles
jet and still runs only on choke. it will only idle off choke if you rev it
bik ob
2) what ki
You need to ask a question as well as provide us with necessary details, if you are asking a question or are you just showing us what you are working on. If you are asking a question, then follow the following steps.
1) what is your question
2) what kind of engine is this.
3) is it stock and if so did it used to run ok and if the answer is yes what changed, or did it just start doing this after sitting for X number of months?
4) If you changed anything, what did you change
5) is that picture the new sparkplug if the answer is yes then it is already gas fouled and has to either be cleaned or replaced. That condition is caused by either too rich or you have ignition issues, but most likely running too rich
6) worn or broken rings would leave a wet oily black plug, yours is dry not rings.
i fixes the problem with the fuel it was float boal
height but i still don’t know about the plug so i’ll see

Thepaetsguy

We have no problem understanding you at all.
This one says it will only idle off choke if you rev it.o_O
I’m so simple of a person it is scary. If I ask anyone on this rock a question you can’t explain it to me all dolled up and over explained I need it caveman stupid simple or I won’t understand it. His first sentence in the post bike will only idle on choke and his very last sentence of that paragraph it will only idle off choke if you rev it. Meaning it won’t idle off choke but you can keep it running high rpm’s but then let off fully and no idle. I believe that would be the idle circuit struggling to circuit correctly.

Actually you're a genius. I'm thinking you interpreted that word salad correctly. The Brits could have used you in the codebreakers. And I agree with your diagnosis but without knowing what carb not sure what the idle circuit is.

Thepaetsguy

Actually you're a genius. I'm thinking you interpreted that word salad correctly. The Brits could have used you in the codebreakers. And I agree with your diagnosis but without knowing what carb not sure what the idle circuit is.
sorry about the pixels. And still keeping things only as simple as they need to be I’d take a ‘wild’ guess that it’s a stock carb 223 wildcat. Maybe they are similar to a 212cc carburetor? Don’t know anything about the idle jet in these. He could drop the bowl. Ive seen gascans cleaner on the outside then the inside. Dirt being poured into the tank from the gascan can drive people nuts. Edit: also hahahahahah 137711F4-178A-40F5-BF3D-2865E5C2D5D4.jpeg