261 train

delray

the milwaukee 261 train was a awesome train to see running and is hard to believe it will not be running anytime soon again. hopefully the greenbay museum will let them have it for 15yrs. but not looking good:doah:
News Release
Friends of the 261 to return Milwaukee Road 261 to National Railroad Museum

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota, Nov. 20, 2009:

The “Friends of the 261” was unable to accept the final offer for an extension of its lease agreement for Milwaukee Road 261 from the National Railroad Museum of Green Bay, Wis. As a result, the famous steam locomotive, which was built in 1944 and used by the “Friends” in excursion service from 1993 to 2008, will eventually return to the Museum as a display.

The National Railroad Museum, which owns the 261, and the “Friends” have been attempting to negotiate a new lease for the past several years. The Friends asked for at least a 15-year lease agreement while the NRM’s final offer was for a ten-year term. Friends of the 261 and North Star Rail Chief Operating Officer Steve Sandberg said the decision to return 261 was based on simple economics. “The Museum’s latest offer would only extend us a ten-year lease, but under current Federal regulations boiler overhauls have a 15-year term. The cost for the 10-year lease was $20,000 per year with a four percent increase annually compounding. After incurring the cost of rebuilding the locomotive, the Friends would be paying in addition an average of $25,000 per year for the 10-year period. After ten years we would have to give the locomotive back with 33 percent of its service life still left. It’s hard to amortize the cost of a 15-year boiler overhaul in a ten-year time frame. We just could not economically justify spending $400,000 to $600,000 on an overhaul, plus paying a substantially increased lease payment, for only a ten-year lease term.”

For several years the “Friends” has been cross subsidizing the cost of 261 operations by leasing or chartering passenger cars from a fleet of cars it has built up over the years. This has enabled the not for profit Friends of 261 to keep the 261 in operation – the only privately sponsored mainline steam organization to do so, year after year.

Sandberg said it has been a privilege to restore and operate 261 over the past 15 years. “It has been one of the joys of my life to operate Milwaukee Road 261, especially since my grandfather used to run the locomotive on the Milwaukee Road when it was in regular service. I want to thank the National Railroad Museum for entrusting our organization with this historic engine for the last decade and a half.”

Even with the conclusion of 261 operations, the Friends of the 261 will remain active. The group will continue to charter and lease its extensive fleet of passenger cars for Amtrak and excursion trips. In 2010, the group is working to bring another main line steam locomotive to Minneapolis for several excursions, and, in the long run, may acquire another steam locomotive to restore to operation.

YouTube - steam engines
YouTube - 261 train

Great train and the effort to keep it rolling will pay off.
Back in 1969 I was in the Operating Engineers local 501 Union in Los Angeles. And I was between jobs and was offered a job as summer vacation relief for the train crew at Disneyland. With a solid conformation that I would never ever be hired on permanent and be back looking after six weeks I passed on the job. I always regretted doing that as Live Steam trains are so cool. Steve :scooter:

That's really sad, but all a matter of dollars and cents. I hope they don't give up completely and scrap it. Here in Portland, we have the SP 4449 and the SP&S 700. Both are run regularly, but I think funding is a constant struggle.

delray

candian pacific and milwaukee 261 running doubles.
i seen top fuel cars run 300+ mph,but man seeing these steam engines running down the tracks is really something to see. they are just so mechanical with all the moving parts,they are just so unreal that man made a machine that was power by steam,until you see one. if some of you guys have not seen a steam engine running? go and see one...:thumbsup:eek:ne of the coolest things you will every see.
YouTube - steam engines

worst part is how hard the government makes it to have a boiler certified, they all but caused the extinction of the steam powered tractor. They used to run those at the state fair every year when I was a kid, but no more:sadcrying4: Was one of my favorite things at the fair, now all there is to look at is hot tub vendor booths and a giant pumpkin. What a shame. Ever see the steam powered cars in Jay Lenos collection? very cool. Saw a show once where he was driving one down the road, it was pretty fast but pretty much had no brakes.