350 Turbo Transmision

bandit 40

Ok Chevy guys and gals I have a brand new 350 Turbo short tail I had Rebuilt 5 years ago when I was racing at Toledo Speedway. Anyways I had a guy named John Muhle ( I think that's right ) sorry John :doah:. from Rebuilders Exchange in Temperance, MI put a lot of goodies in it basically he built be a circle track racing trans. I have had a couple rebuilds done by him and his work is top notch. I never used this second trans at all I unfortunately never got it installed so its never been filled or used . I was considering putting the detach cable back on and parting with it so someone can use it on the street again on there Hotrod. Its just sitting and Ill never use it so I wanted to know if anyone has done this? :shrug: I can do a lot to an engine but never really messed with a trans before and all he did was disconnected it somewhere inside and capped it off . I lost his contact info and cant find him. Thanks Fellow Bowtie lovers.:thumbsup:.

I was considering putting the detach cable back on and parting with it so someone can use it on the street again on there Hotrod. Its just sitting and Ill never use it so I wanted to know if anyone has done this? :shrug: I can do a lot to an engine but never really messed with a trans before and all he did was disconnected it somewhere inside and capped it off . I lost his contact info and cant find him. Thanks Fellow Bowtie lovers.:thumbsup:.
Are you referring to the "Detent" cable? (Also referred to as TV cable, or throttle kick down.) Just pull the cap off, there is a spring loaded flat rod in there- you should be able to reach in with a pair of needle nose pliers and grab it. It pulls out just above the opening, maybe a half inch or so. There is a hole in the end that your cable slips into:thumbsup:

bandit 40

Yeah Detent" cable :doah: I don't know crap about it. I think that rod was removed as well Mark. I sort of recall him saying it was completely removed :shrug:. Im gonna have to check ,thanks for the info .:thumbsup:

No sweat. look into the hole, if it's still there, you will see it. if not, you will have to pull the pan and get to it from the bottom. I can't remember if you have to pull the valve body or not, but I'm pretty sure you don't. Good luck:thumbsup:

If the valve body has been modified beyond just a shift kit he may have eliminated the detent valve altogether, does your trans still have the vacuume modulator?.......................Tom.

CarPlayLB

I would leave it alone! I had a TH350 on the street without the kickdown...the only difference is that you need to manually downshift when passing, otherwise the vacuum modulator will get you back to first gear when stopped...which is not a big deal to performance street drivers.

The TH350 needs the vacuum modulator with/without kickdown installed...if it is not there then you have a "track only" transmission.

To make all of these changes, the valve body was modified...not a simple task to just "connect the linkage" for the kickdown and motor away

late model transmissions have a TV (throttle valve) cable that not only helps with downshifting, but adjusts the line pressure...very sensitive to adjustment

my .02...leave it alone...run it!

bandit 40

Well it no longer has the vacuume modulator . This was built for leaving in first gear because the race track is an 1/8 mile on the outside diameter of the track ,so your in the gas and out of it quick. And the valve body has been modified for this in and out racing. And the spring loaded flat rod has been removed. So Im thinking this might have to stay for circle track racing.

I would guess the trans has a full manual valve body, it would be good for a drag or rowdy street car, but it will require to be manually shifted up and down.............What convertor were you running back then?...............Tom.