4.5" drum brake install

Okay, so I've never installed one of these, and there wasn't one on the project I bought. I think it is a bird frame, but I can't be sure. It does have the tabs for a scrub brake, but I'm not using one. The bike came with 6" wheels, and the rear had the drum/sprocket already attached, and it looks like there was a brake on the drum at some point. I plan to use a jackshaft where the scrub brake was, so this seems like the best brake to use.
Now for the question... Do I attach this brake to anything, or does it float on the axle between some spacers. I looked for something on YouTube, but I couldn't find anything. I was thinking I'd use a brake cable setup, but I wonder now if I need some kind of solid linkage attached to some kind of pedal (which would have to be fabricated because there is not foot pedal of any kind)? I would think the cable would make the brake "catch" when it is applied, and the brake would spin and hit the frame. There is one hole in the brake, and I was wondering if I can drill a hole in the axle plate and run a bolt through that? If you guys have any good information, please let me know. I would love some pics if you have them!
Thanks,
Dave

Dave, You're idea of drilling a hole in the axle tab to anchor the brake plate is correct. In the attached pic the bolt to the left of the axle nut does what you're asking about. Ogy

Awesome! Thanks, guys. I'll post some pics up of the project as soon as I make room on my phone. It's coming along. Not nearly as fast as I'd like, but it is coming along. I'm gonna make some spacers. Those things are pricey!