5 Hp flat head/ scored cylinder

LONG

hey guys. did a compression check on my 1970 5Hp engine. only built around 15psi. put some oil in the cylinder, then got around 45psi. pulled head and found cylinder is scored. how much is to too far to bore? what piston sizes are available? is it even worth machining? could it be sleeved?

MB165

its probably not worth sleeving, there are tons of good used blocks out there...if its aluminum i can bore it as long as the scores arent deeper than around .010-.014 depends on what o.s. pistons are available....
youll probably will need valve guides too.

LONG

bump, where do you guys get engine parts? any known good small engine machine shops in Illinois. I have not contacted the machine shop that did my straight 8. maybe they can?

MB165

if you want origional or aftermarket parts, ombw, most any local mower shop can get them or ebay. the aftermarket companies sell imported parts, rotary corp, stens, oregon (silver streak), quality is not on par with origional but in some cases its the only way to get them.
I saw a short block on ebay a few days ago for less than the price of rebuilding yours....

la1

I'll talk to my normal machine shop to see if he does small engines
If its aluminum should be able to hone the cylinder to the next oversize piston. Ebay has a boat load of parts. I think the over sized pistons go up by 1/100 of an inch .01 .02 .03 going by memory on that.

LONG

guy at work found a replacement off a tiller. hope to see it in the next few weeks. I think it'll work, but have not looked at it. or I'll just go to farm and fleet and buy a new 950.