55# dual spring install

Whats the trick to compressing the spring to install the split keepers..? Also is it normal for the inner spring to ride on the head that supports the valve guide vs down in the spring pocket like a normal spring....

For some reason it never dawned on me to go try and rent the tool from a local autoparts store.....Bah.

So how about that spring? Anyone know?

Ive never done 55's before. Sounds like the guide boss or spring pocket needs to be milled. Did you contact the manufacturer?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I normally cut the spring pockets on the head. This usually make the material around the guide thinner. But it still works fine without it being cut, just make sure your springs are oiled for less heat and friction.

I normally cut the spring pockets on the head. This usually make the material around the guide thinner. But it still works fine without it being cut, just make sure your springs are oiled for less heat and friction.
So your saying its ok if the inner doesn't sit all the way down in the spring pocket?

I don't really want to cut corners but if its ok to run what I have I will....

Just got a reply back from Tim Isky he said it should sit on the bottom of the pocket.

What to do?

Ill try and grab a photo of what I have going on tonight.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
So your saying its ok if the inner doesn't sit all the way down in the spring pocket?

I don't really want to cut corners but if its ok to run what I have I will....

Just got a reply back from Tim Isky he said it should sit on the bottom of the pocket.

What to do?

Ill try and grab a photo of what I have going on tonight.
Yes it should sit on the bottom. You may need to do some minor grinding on the head to make it work. I thought you was saying it was sitting on the bottom, but rubbing the guide boss on the sides.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
on a related note, what cam grind needs 55# springs? In other words, how much lift or rpm?
There only 55 pound springs at about .900" install height, most install heights are taller like 1.00". So you only end up with 42 pound springs.

Any lift over .340" needs them, or any lift over .300" with big heavy valves.

Truthfully I was/am kind of worried/paranoid about it, but Tim assures me its OK. I also read that he set someone else up with a similar build recently...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-engines/58935-how-much-hp.html

Especially sense I am planning on running it in for extended periods, or at least longer than a short little drag race.

So Minidragebike is your concern the additional spring pressure prematurely wearing the cam or just adding excessive uneeded friction? Whats the main problem with running a 55# spring with that cam shaft?

I just noticed Tim has two sets of dual coil springs. Is there a visual way to id the heavy dual springs from the light ones? And would the specs from the lighter springs be more appropriate for the Black Mamba Cam? My springs appear to be marked with green paint.

DUAL VALVE SPRING KIT

$25.00

DUAL VALVE SPRING KIT
(INCLUDES RETAINERS AND LOCKS)
1.00" 28 LBS.
.875" 45 LBS.
.750" 65 LBS.
.625" 85 LBS.
.490" COIL BIND

Add To Cart

HEAVY DUAL VALVE SPRING KIT

$30.00