5hp Boat anchor?

Hi, I have this 5hp that came with a Lil Indian I just bought. The guy said it ran 2 years ago but I'm not so sure about that :shrug:

Model # 130202 Type 0418-01 Code 7207197

Its missing the air cleaner and gas cap. The shroud and recoil are jacked up. I notice the oil fill is in kinda on the wrong side. If I use this motor on a mini it would be hard to access because of a chain guard.

I don't plan on putting this engine back on the Lil Indian. But I'm thinking about trying to get it running.

1972 5HP Briggs engine, they are really nice engines for a mini bike. That one came off a snow blower.
Thanks, I'm thinking about pulling the head off to look at the cylinder. Is it normal to be able to turn rotate the crankshaft by hand with little effort?

Can the oil fill be relocated to the other side by drilling and tapping?

Is the spark plug in it? I have a couple that I can spin fairly easily. Do you have a way to pressure check it? There are plenty of parts to be had for this motor. I'm not sure what your budget is, but it may be cheaper an easier to pick up a clone for $100. It all depends on your outlook. I have a raptor that came with a race kart. I only need to swap the carb so that it will run on gas. I have almost as much invested in the carb and gas tank as I would if I'd bought the 97cc predator from HF. However, I'll know this motor better after working on it, and it will look way better. Not to mention, it'll have a lot more power.
I picked up a Bird frame for $50. It had wheels with it, but I have invested quite a bit in odds and ends to make it mine. I may have been able to buy a used doodlebug for about the same amount, but building this will be a blast!

It all depends on your outlook. I have a raptor that came with a race kart. I only need to swap the carb so that it will run on gas. I have almost as much invested in the carb and gas tank as I would if I'd bought the 97cc predator from HF. However, I'll know this motor better after working on it, and it will look way better.
This is how I feel. Once you've had your eyes and hands all over the old motor, it's infinitely more valuable than just picking up a new engine off the shelf. You'll know every little nuance about it and when it breaks you'll have a good idea of what went wrong. Plus, to me, hunting down the old parts is half the fun of it. It's more expensive by far to get an old engine you picked out of some old shed running well. But so much more rewarding. It's a hobby to a lot of us. That's my opinion at least.

Thanks for the replies. Well I found out that my Lil Indian actually came with a 5hp B&S. So I'm thinking about rebuilding at some point.

I don't have an exact year the mini was built but it maybe a 1968. So are there any differences in a 5hp B&S 1968 compared to a 1972

This is how I feel. Once you've had your eyes and hands all over the old motor, it's infinitely more valuable than just picking up a new engine off the shelf. You'll know every little nuance about it and when it breaks you'll have a good idea of what went wrong. Plus, to me, hunting down the old parts is half the fun of it. It's more expensive by far to get an old engine you picked out of some old shed running well. But so much more rewarding. It's a hobby to a lot of us. That's my opinion at least.
^ this I believe. I much prefer to find the old stuff and make it work. The feeling is so much more fulfilling than slapping a store bought engine on it.

I have a 74 model, doing a build thread now :thumbsup: They are cool engines! Looks like there is teeth on the flywheel for a starter motor??

Should I be concerned about it :confused:

I've been reading your thread :thumbsup:
Awesome :thumbsup: I personally wouldn't take it too seriously, maybe a light sand will help the chips?? The head looks pretty ok though...

My 5hp has a bad exhaust valve seat, which made it hard to start. Just something you may want to consider checking out if its going back together :thumbsup: Those small things can make all the difference!

What condition is the fuel tank in on the inside by the way?

Awesome :thumbsup: I personally wouldn't take it too seriously, maybe a light sand will help the chips?? The head looks pretty ok though...

My 5hp has a bad exhaust valve seat, which made it hard to start. Just something you may want to consider checking out if its going back together :thumbsup: Those small things can make all the difference!

What condition is the fuel tank in on the inside by the way?
How do you check the valves? The tank has some rust inside but I'm gonna clean it up and use it.

How do you check the valves? The tank has some rust inside but I'm gonna clean it up and use it.
Remove the small valve cover breather thing on the side of the engine. Then, get a feeler gauge (if you have one) and put the cam and lifters in. Make sure that the valves are not being pushed up by the lifters. Put a feeler gauge between the lifter and the valve and check the clearance, if any of that makes sense :confused:

To check the seats, remove the cam and lifters if they are still in there. Use a screwdriver to pry up the valves and take a look under them. Ill put a picture of my valve seats on my resto thread.

For memory, the intake valve clearance needs to be between .5 and .7, and the exhaust has to be between .9 and .11

Good luck, someone might be more helpful in the valve department :laugh:

Remove the small valve cover breather thing on the side of the engine. Then, get a feeler gauge (if you have one) and put the cam and lifters in. Make sure that the valves are not being pushed up by the lifters. Put a feeler gauge between the lifter and the valve and check the clearance, if any of that makes sense :confused:

To check the seats, remove the cam and lifters if they are still in there. Use a screwdriver to pry up the valves and take a look under them. Ill put a picture of my valve seats on my resto thread.

For memory, the intake valve clearance needs to be between .5 and .7, and the exhaust has to be between .9 and .11

Good luck, someone might be more helpful in the valve department :laugh:
Where do you measure with the feeler gauges?