5hp briggs recoil question?

took my old school go kart out for a test run .got about 100 feet or so.Then screeching noise and my pull start rope wound clock wise.and bunched up like bad underwear...? is it just a lube problem or am i missing something else?

had to clean up the disaster of a garage before I did this one:blink: I'm going to tackle this tomorrow morning. thanks you guys are a great help!

Yep, do what metal man shows in the link, I had a 3hp Briggs that did the same thing, except sometime it would pull the rope all the way in and the handle would go shooting off somewhere, I took the starter clutch apart and cleaned and oiled it and it was good. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone great pic's metal man guess what? the fiber spacer washer was missing :scared:It was binding @ that point dressed it up with a dremel stole washer out of that 5hp I was trying to sell.....bingo!... I was giving that to the old timer for parts.last minute he said he did not need it so far I needed the tank, carb, exhaust valve and now. this funny how things work out :thumbsup:

Last edited: