5HP BRIGGS vs 4HP TECUMSEH

i have a friend that wants to sell a briggs 5hp that is around 5-6 years old,in excellent condition..also a mid 1980`s tecumseh 4hp new, never had oil or gas in it. both are mini bike friendly w/3/4" horizontal.

any recommendations as to which one to buy?
or just buy them both.

he wants $100. each. ...thanks..:scooter::thumbsup:

Both, without a doubt. You'll need them both sooner or later. The 5HP Briggs will give you problems in some of the smaller minis due to the fuel tank location. But they are very dependable and have lots of hop up parts available.The 4hp Tecumseh will fit most any, as you can relocate the fuel tank. The Tecumseh has good low end torque too.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Both, without a doubt. You'll need them both sooner or later. The 5HP Briggs will give you problems in some of the smaller minis due to the fuel tank location. But they are very dependable and have lots of hop up parts available.The 4hp Tecumseh will fit most any, as you can relocate the fuel tank. The Tecumseh has good low end torque too.:thumbsup:
jimh...thank you for the reply.

i have two bonanza`s and a cat that need engines.
my thought was similar to what you recommended , buy both, even if i don`t use them right away.

but i`m just leaning about about these engines .

a little direction as far as the pros and cons is always helpful. ..apreciate the your imput. ...:thumbsup:

If I could only pic one? It would be the new Tecumseh hands down. That engine was used tons of factory mini's and will fit in your Cat much better. I love Tecumseh's compact size to power ratio. :thumbsup:

The used Briggs should be worth about $50 but a good engine. I have plenty of both.

The only thing I do not like about the newer 5hp briggs is that they have foam or what ever it is in the tank to help keep junk out of the carb, after awhile it will become brittle and break and go in to the carb it self. The newer tec are ok. I have had a lot of problems with the older ones.

drheilman

They are both good engines, But I personally prefer Briggs. Jimhs right however,that Damn bulky briggs gastank has ruined many mini bike builds.

Take the Tecumseh. At $100 for a new HS40 is a steel!
thanks roadking.

i took jimh advice and bought both.
the tecumseh was n.i.b. ,..the briggs from appearance looked near new and garanteed to work well.

then i found a 5hp tecumseh from the same guy. little use.
by now my wallet has an echo and i didn`t bring my checkbook.

told him to just hold it for me.

appreciate the help roadking.:thumbsup:

take em both !!!

Take em both and any other engine that he wants to sell you, you will use them all if you find something to put them on, $100.00 isn't bad for a running motor, $50.00 is better, but you can spend alot of time trying to "rescue" a motor, or like stubbysteve, "rebuilding" motors, ( working on 5 briggs myself), hard to give up the $100.00 bill but you may create something that's worth alot more.
Dave