5hp flat head

Just put a jr racing flywheel on my 5 hp briggs.Along w/ some heavier valve springs.Thre will be more to come this winter but I cant get it to start at this point.Someone told me to set the timing @ 29 degrees(idk what that means).I do have some advance keys coming.Anybody know what Im missing?

cool bike! im not exacly sure but id say you should check and make sure the magnet is in the same location as the old flywheel in relation to the keyway. With everything else stock there is no benefit to altered timing

125ccCrazy

is that a Jr flywheel from an animal or is it a flathead flywheel? if it's an animal flywheel the keyway is clocked wrong... do like Jeep said above.... if it is an animal flwheel and if you can get the airgap set right with the coil (not sure if the o.d is the same on both flywheels) then you will have to lap the flywheel good to the crank and set the timing, then lock it down without a key..

Last edited:
5hp briggs

is that a Jr flywheel from an animal or is it a flathead flywheel? if it's an animal flywheel the keyway is clocked wrong... do like Jeep said above.... if it is an animal flwheel and if you can get the airgap set right with the coil (not sure if the o.d is the same on both flywheels) then you will have to lap the flywheel good to the crank and set the timing, then lock it down without a key..
This is an 84 model i/c all original i have the jr fly wheel fr an animal I had to dremel down some parts and bevel the insude of the flywheel juuuust a little. I also have dual valves would like to put a stroker in it and piston port it etc. but I have to get my Rupp and SST ready for windber.Thanks for the heads up.I didnt think @ locking it w/ out a key so we'll see. thanks will keep posted.