6.5hp clone on go kart why is mine so slow.

So I bought my kid a new motor for the go kart. Racing go kart that is. Now we went to the track to run it and well it only went about 20mph. Now its spinning 5500rpm with a 12tooth clutch an #35 sproket aluminum flywheel and a Winnie pipe are the only add ons. Im watching other drivers with the same set up doing 45-50mph can anyone tell me whats going on can it be something internal its only got 4hrs on the motor.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Sounds more like gearing than a motor issue. If your motor is turning 5500 it doesn't sound like motor. Wish I could remember what I ran for gearing at my kart track, but it was years ago. I think I ran something like a 15 68 on our track.

I think your gearing is way to low. Do you have any idea what the other guys are running for gearing?

Its a 60 tooth rear sproket. some guys run alittle bigger like 72 an other guys run a10 tooth clutch with a 60 tooth rear sproket. My mind is bosggle cuz im running almost the same set up but going 20-30 mph slower. when i give it gas in the straight shot i get to about 20mph and the rest of the straight shot is all over rev of the motor.

Its a 60 tooth rear sproket. some guys run alittle bigger like 72 an other guys run a10 tooth clutch with a 60 tooth rear sproket. My mind is bosggle cuz im running almost the same set up but going 20-30 mph slower. when i give it gas in the straight shot i get to about 20mph and the rest of the straight shot is all over rev of the motor.
"... and the rest of the straight shot is ALL OVER REV OF THE MOTOR."
Please further explain this statement- something's not right here.:shrug:
Michael

rmm727

How are your valve springs? Have you upgraded to 10.8's? You might be hitting valve float. Another thought is that your engine can't pull the 60t rear sprocket when others are running the 72t and revving higher.

How are your valve springs? Have you upgraded to 10.8's? You might be hitting valve float. Another thought is that your engine can't pull the 60t rear sprocket when others are running the 72t and revving higher.
Ryan could very well be on to something here (no surprise).:thumbsup:
Michael

Hey I try.:laugh:

I spend a lot of time on Bob's. The server just crashed over there so most of the info is lost for now.
Yeah, I heard about the crash from my son Jeff- He spends time on that forum as well. He has got some SMOKING deals on Briggs Raptor items (some NOS) from members on there. Most of the racers have moved on to OHV engines and they sell there flat head stuff real cheap.
Michael

Have you talked with anyone at the track? Most kart tracks have friendly helpful people, just like oldminibikes.com.

I run a 6.5 clone on 1/8th mile track. My gearing is 12/ 60 depending. Max rpm is approx 6300. I recall computing mph at approx 40mph max on my track (using gear ratio, rpm, tire roll-out). So, assuming everything the same, if you are turning 5500, then you would be going approx 35mph with my set-up.

You have same gearing as mine (12/ 60). Your mph difference may not be as great as you imagine. Not sure my math is correct, but 5mph difference on 1/8 mile track would get you lapped in less than 10 laps.

I don't know, but don't think it's your engine.

My buddy races karts , his grand daughter drives its in the BSP blue plate class . But those karts run some really low gearing , like 3.5 - 1 , takes a little to get them going . If i were you talk to other people there and find out what their running as in clutch and set up . Set up is the whole trick in karting , if its off it will look like your a snail running around . You can have two of the same motors , clutches and kart , and it will look like the other guy has double the motor as in you get lapped quick .