71 speedway shrike

I figured id post some pictures for anybody who might enjoy this bike. I still need to rivet the snaps back on for the seat. Also, I have another rear wheel assembly with the offroad tire id like to put on. I am in the process of rebuilding the carb on its hs40 DSCF9805.JPG DSCF9803.JPG DSCF9797.JPG DSCF9752.JPG DSCF9754.JPG

Ding Ding

Coming along nicely. Got to love the Speedways!

A coupe of observations: Your front moto-X tire is on backwards, the tread should be the opposite direction. Your jackshaft bearings have some kind of retainer caps holding them in place. They certainly aren't hurting anything, but if the correct bearings with a retaining ring are used you shouldn't have to use those caps as the retaining rings on the correct bearings hold the shaft and bearings in a fixed position. You could pick up a set of dust boots for your front forks, available on Ebay.

Thanks for the information. I was looking to do something with the front forks. there isn't any travel in the front suspension and I was wondering if you know where I can gather info on how this front suspension is serviced. Any ideas?

Ding Ding

Thanks for the information. I was looking to do something with the front forks. there isn't any travel in the front suspension and I was wondering if you know where I can gather info on how this front suspension is serviced. Any ideas?
Something within the lower fork tubes must be seized up. The fork nuts themselves unthread where the upper and lower forks meet. The fork nuts are what hold the lower fork tubes on to the upper forks/triple tree.

chrisr

Coming along nicely. Got to love the Speedways!

A coupe of observations: Your front moto-X tire is on backwards, the tread should be the opposite direction. Your jackshaft bearings have some kind of retainer caps holding them in place. They certainly aren't hurting anything, but if the correct bearings with a retaining ring are used you shouldn't have to use those caps as the retaining rings on the correct bearings hold the shaft and bearings in a fixed position. You could pick up a set of dust boots for your front forks, available on Ebay.
Should the front and rear tire be flipped on which is front and rear and should the rear tire like you said have the v pointing in the direction of rotation?

Ding Ding

Should the front and rear tire be flipped on which is front and rear and should the rear tire like you said have the v pointing in the direction of rotation?
Yes. The tire you currently have on the front, should be flipped to have the tread direction the other way AND it should be on the back. The more narrow, street looking tire should be on the front.