a mini bike of the automotive world

When D&D mini cycle was open I had a man come into the shop looking for chain and other parts for his go kart. This kart was powered by a DKW 3 cylinder two stroke engine and had a Harley Davidson kick start gear box down to a live axle with only a 6 inch Bendix brake. He ran slick kart tires. The thing had a huge flywheel that helped maintained rpm. Each cylinder had it's own coil and Carburetor and exhaust.
He used this kart to challenge race for money against cars like the Plymouth GTX and Pontiac GTO's they raced down in the Los Angeles river bed . That gave the Sherriff's a big problem enforcing the non publicized events. He started the kart for us but didn't drive it for us but I sure sounded wild but he was a wild man for sure.

WLB

I didn't know the Trabant was a two stroke. Nice engine compartment layout. I had a friend that had a two stroke Saab. He drove it for years before it died. When I had my motorcycle shop a customer from Michigan brought down an H Modified sportscar with a 750cc 3 cylinder Suzuki engine for me to fit 34 mm Mikuni carbs to. It had Ocelot expansion chambers and, needless to say, was LOUD, but music to my ears (probably why I don't hear well now). Those videos bring back good memories. I ran a few Rallies when I had the Triumph TR3 and the Fiat Abarth. Great fun, even managed to win one in the Abarth.

I had a Fiat convertible that had the Abarth engine but it required a better mechanic than I was and more money. But I sold it to a neighbor and he fixed it up and would bet he made money on it.

WLB

Yes the Abarths did require a lot of maintenance and hard to get parts, Steve. I bought my Abarth new and it was a fantastic car for 10,000 miles. After that, not so much. I was running south on 31 out of Kokomo heading to Indy at 118 mph (its redline) and the distributor exploded. Sounded like a hand grenade went off right behind my head. A year or so later the cam wore out and it sat for over six months waiting for a cam from Italy. It was more reliable than the TR3 though. Everything that could go wrong with that car, did go wrong.

My Dad always said Fiat stood for "fix it again Tony" and tried to go to lunch when one rolled up to the garage he worked at when they were popular.
Yes the Abarths did require a lot of maintenance and hard to get parts, Steve. I bought my Abarth new and it was a fantastic car for 10,000 miles. After that, not so much. I was running south on 31 out of Kokomo heading to Indy at 118 mph (its redline) and the distributor exploded. Sounded like a hand grenade went off right behind my head. A year or so later the cam wore out and it sat for over six months waiting for a cam from Italy. It was more reliable than the TR3 though. Everything that could go wrong with that car, did go wrong.

Harquebus

That video is making those Trabbies look good enough to become classics. Causing a little lust for that abomination of a car. :wink:

Does anyone race the Citroën 2CV "deux chevaux"?