Another example to prove Rupp pricing is crazy...

I would put a nut onto a bolt and put it on the surface grinder and make one. another way is to chuck some 6 sided stock into a lathe and make that bolt. You could do this bolt on a Unimat.

Doc

Last edited:
I actually need one of those.:laugh: I'll have to check it out.:laugh:
Hey Miss Karen. I've had that machine for 51 years now. I was eight when I got it. You can't imagine the things I've made on it over the years. Get one if you can but I'll say they aren't always cheap on eBay.

Doc

I put all stainless fasteners in my restorations. It takes about 1 minute to make a stainless version of that. When I get those old rusted, partially stripped ones out I immediately toss them in the trash. I like Doc's way of facing them down the best tho. I have something similar actually.

Hey Bio,

I agree. I just can't see putting carbon steel back in to rust again. Sure, it drives the price of the restoration up but it's not that much. I also put locking nuts on everything. I use either deformed thread or nylon. Just makes things a little less worrisome.

Doc

I actually need one of those.:laugh: I'll have to check it out.:laugh:
Oy...I may have read your comment wrong Miss Karen. You probably are referring to the bolt not the lathe. Let me know if you need a bolt. I'll be glad to make you some up. Anyone else in need let me know also.

Doc

Last edited:
The real part of this is,rupps are getting older and more collectible.Prices will keep going up,as long as people pay the prices others are demanding.

capguncowboy

I saw that listing the other day and thought about listing these up that I've been hoarding for a while. I think I have about 20 total, but these 6 are in the best condition

Rupp 72

Rupp stuff is worth whatever people are willing to pay... If people are buying rupp parts at high prices, are they really overpaying? or establishing the value of something?

Rupp stuff is worth whatever people are willing to pay...
Everything in the world is like that. However creating a false shortage, or panic buying, of faddish trends, (Pet Rocks for example) do not sustain a market. They merely line the pockets of those who get in first.

If people are buying rupp parts at high prices, are they really overpaying? or establishing the value of something?
The established value is only in the mind of the established buyer, or interested party hoping his like items are valuable too. The fallacy is that the prices will fall, once the supply exceeds the practice of over-paying. Capgun for example, just realized he has $60 worth of Rupp bolts. He's already done the math.

Guess what? Him having six of them in good shape, plus a few more, just crapped on that $10 benchmark. (Or the $6 one)

I've sold several bikes here as well as rollers for far less than anyone else had ever asked for simular. My value-added was in the hobby itself, the creative process, the work. Thus I took enjoyment in reducing the value of the particular bikes from those who worked so hard to increase the value, by selling to people who otherwise could not have afforded it.

The antithesis of someone who watches price trends on hobbies in the hopes his collection increases in value.

This is a hobby to most of us. Not a job. $10 for a rusty bolt? Really? What an insult.

Rupp 72

$530 for a piece of metal is a lot, but if you want the real deal your going to have to pay. I can't say I've ever seen a clutch guard in good shape on ebay sell for less than $400...