Any experience with Honda 440 clones ?

I want to do the same thing as the guy in this video but use
of the 440 and higher compression should yield more power compared
to this stock Honda 390.

VIDEO of small airplane with GX-390

video on flv format - YouTube

Vegas Karts is selling the engines here

440cc Clone Engine Kits - Generation 2 [G2440] - $399.99 : Vegas Carts & Performance, Repowering Golf Carts for todays Speed Freaks!

and I was hoping some guys here had bought from them....

I just need to know they are good engines and a little worried
about heat buildup at constant hi rpms.....

65ShelbyClone

I'll paste here my response to using utility engines in boats:

The rated/advertised power of utility engines is really an intermittent power rating. Generators are a lot like boats in that they heavily load the engine for long periods of time. The continuous wattage rating on them usually correlates to 80% of the engine's rated max output. 1.0hp = 746W, so a 6.5hp engine can produce 4850W and would be coupled to a generating head of ~3900W or less to get the 80% continuous load.
Planes are a lot like boats and generators in that they put a heavy, constant load on the engine. If anything, I would take a 440 and restrict it to GX390 levels for reliability. Having said that, I doubt I would trust my life with a Chinese engine. I doubt I would use even a real Honda.

Scott, I would be honored to be a part of your project!

The 440s are not your average "Chinese" engines, I have spent the last 2 years R&Ding this platform specifically for a performance application. Tons of money has been invested into custom Heavy Duty moulds to improve the block strength to levels that surpass that of a Genuine Honda (10-Bolt side cover, etc). The grade of Aluminum used in the castings is the highest available with minimal porosity. Cylinder Sleeves are twice as thick as your standard Chinese clone and I think youd be hard pressed to find any other small engine manufacturer in the world who provides the level of customer service that I do.

I answer phones on weekends, holidays, late at night and do what it takes to help my customers build the engine they desire specifically for their application.

Iam not in this business to sell 1000s of engines to people that are going to put them on water pumps, log splitters, or fun karts. I am in this business for the enthusiasts because its also my passion!!

Heres some reviews for you:

Vegas Carts 440 at Daytona

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone-engine-swaps/89076-vegas-carts-gx440-review.html

-Geoff Warner
VCP

Last edited: