any ideas? briggs

lloyd

Ive got a briggs 5hp that runs really good. the problem is starting it. it always wants to be primed with a little something flammable down the carb- then it go's great. seems its getting fuel just fine, just not at start up.:confused:

jeep4me

Sounds like your spark is not hot enough. Clean off the flywheel and magneto with some emery cloth and change the spark plug.

did you check the carb diaphragm? it might be gummed up or stretched out, you can get a new one at a local hardware store for like only 25 cents.... i have a pack of 50 for my 3 and 5HP because they like to go shot..

look on the flywheel metal housing, there should be a series of numbers on it, look for the serial number (3rd set of numbers over) the first 2 digits are the year, the third and forth are the month, and the 5th and 6th are the day, so if you had an engine from December, 6, 1978 the first few numbers of the serial would read "781206"

lloyd

serial reading

mines a little different maybe? the third set is a code # reading 84020306. so its an 84 I guess? the serial starts with 68 but second digits are 44 and then 5o something which would make no sense.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Man these guys are really posting good info here. I would change the spark plug as well. Had a prpblem like this years ago. It turned out to be the plug.

i have a 5hp briggs thats hard to start its a newer motor without points is the flywheel gapped any different then one with points cause im having hard starting issuses iv tried different plugs the carb runs fine on the older 5hp motor that has points that it came off of but i have to choke it and open the throttle all the way and its still hard to start

bandit 40

i have a 5hp briggs thats hard to start its a newer motor without points is the flywheel gapped any different then one with points cause im having hard starting issuses iv tried different plugs the carb runs fine on the older 5hp motor that has points that it came off of but i have to choke it and open the throttle all the way and its still hard to start
I have always set the flywheel gap at 20, that shouldn't change on either type. because you can bypass the points with a solid state coil:smile: