Any interest in a short tail mud motor build?

I am building a mud motor and was wondering if any one would want to see me build it. I ordered some mud motor plans off ebay sunday, the short tail design which is a lot better i think than a long tail. I will be using a 13hp grey hound honda clone, i got it last year from dirt cheap for like 60 dollars brand new. I do plan on moding the motor a littel like a header may be a k and n filter:shrug: .But its a boat so why do i need one? Also i'm gonna be using a evinrude/johnson boat tank instead of the honda clone tank. Another thing is i may build a boat for this to but will have to see how it will do on my 14ft wooden jon boat me and my dad made.

Yep:thumbsup:

I got a NOS kawasaki liquid cooled 20hp out of a Mule I have debated about doing this with...
you would have to have a radiator on it and on the mud motor forums this one guy used a motor from a can am outlander 800 and said it wouldn't even plan off the boat

Yes. I'm interested. There is a YouTube video of a long tail with a 6.5 clone. I'd like to see how a short tail is made for comparison.:smile:

I'm into it - build away! I've thought about it being a good application of a hydraulic hydrostatic system. In that case there is no drive shaft from the engine to the hydraulic motor, so you could put the engine on the floor of the boat instead of way up high on a swivel mount.

Good luck!
Darrel

I'd like to try to do this with a closed loop hydraulic system because it easily allows for both a forward and reverse, among other things. I don't have a lot of build experience with hydraulics, but I do currently have a 2x2 hydraulic bike project in the 2013 build-off which I hope to be completed in the next month. I'll be looking for another project soon after.

I've been thinking about this application for a while; I'm definitely interested in following along on your project.

While your waiting for plans, can you talk about hp requirements, forward speed, and gear ratios required for say a typical loaded 17' duck boat? Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Darrel

Last edited:
I'd like to try to do this with a closed loop hydraulic system because it easily allows for both a forward and reverse, among other things. I don't have a lot of build experience with hydraulics, but I do currently have a 2x2 hydraulic bike project in the 2013 build-off which I hope to be completed in the next month. I'll be looking for another project soon after.

I've been thinking about this application for a while; I'm definitely interested in following along on your project.

While your waiting for plans, can you talk about hp requirements, forward speed, and gear ratios required for say a typical loaded 17' duck boat? Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Darrel
Hydraulics would be awesome not sure how it could be done as i don't know a hole lot about them. If you was to do what im doing you would want a lot more than the 13hp motor im using, probilly a twin. Your going to want to use a belt because if you hit something you it won't break teeth of your sprockets. I am going to use a pto clutch off a old lawn mower so it isn't direct drive but i will have to have a good battery. I have know idea on the sizes of the pulleys yet but i'll post every thing about it. If you haven't gotten the boat yet you want so thing long (17ft is plenty) and narrow like 4ft wide. The longer the boat is the faster you will go. We are going to try it on our wooden 14ft jon boat we made, and if it does ok we will build a narrow 14ft version of it