Anyone build a kickstand?

Those bicycle ones will actually work pretty great if ya do them right. They are usually pretty chinsy and some will break if you try bending them BUT some don't. It's a bit of a trick to bend them but what I will do is set the bike up on like 12 inch blocks under the tires, as if it's sitting there flat on the floor, Then get it all propped up at the basic angle you want the bike to rest at when it's on the stand... THEN you will be allowed to get your kickstand all bolted up there how it seams like it will travel nice and stay located well... A lot of the time they will have a notch in the mount part that you can just about line up with a slot in the motor mount plate... If you get your kickstand so it folds up and works nice and just needs to be the right length, you can slide you another 12 inch block over to the kick stand and see where the end needs to be... I like to mark it with a paint marker... (I will come up about 3/8 inch for bend radius) You can try to cut it off flat but I like to bend it outward so there is a little foot that sits flat on the ground when it's folded out and a nice tab to get with your foot when it's up... You can lock your kickstand down in a GOOD SOLID vice, and use the jaw as a radius and a piece of cheater pipe as a handle, and bend the kickstand over. Clamp the workings and stand itself downwards and the piece that is going to be a little footy up where you can put your pipe on. Don't cut it until you've bent it to give your self a LOT more leverage.
You have to be careful to make SURE you get the bend at the right orientation (roll) to the the rest of the workings up top so it lines up right once it is bent.. THAT IS Crucial as is MAKE SURE to start your bend up higher on the main arm of the kickstand about 1 to 2 times the thickness of the arm. THAT WAY when you bend it, it ads on the hight of the bent material, to the slightly too short main arm so it = correct hight....... :eek:hmy: WOW that sounds like a lot huh? :doah: It's simple as hell though... HAHA!! Read the instructions a couple times, sit there and look it over good and think about it.. All you have to do is get it pretty damn close and you can ALWAYS ad a piece of rubber hose to your little footy to make it sit 1/4 inch higher AND be linoleum floor friendly, or tweak the bend in the foot to raise it some or bend the entire arm out some to lower it.... if you get it pretty close it will be fine... Try it once or twice and think about what you're doing and you will swear just building a kickstand is the only way to go. :wink: I COULD buy one on Evilbay for $20 that MIGHT NOT even be the right length, THEN wait a week to get it.... OR just BUILD one for FREE right now how I WANT the damn thing and be done with it... Is how I about always think... :hammer: I will get pics of the one on the Boonie tomorrow.. it's easy as hell with a bicycle stand, vice, hammer helps make TIGHT bends, cheater pipe, hacksaw or sawzall. :hack: And just think. If you build it in an hour you just made 15 bucks per hour, or however much you didn't spend on some Evilbay one :thumbsup:

thanks alot jeep2003:doah: get me involve. just kidding.....:smile:
alwhite00,take look at my project build. page 11-12. if you are looking to make a kick stand and weld it on to a modified/custom project build? maybe this will work for you:thumbsup:
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/2993-great-minibiker-build-off-delray-entry-11.html
No we are talking, Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

If it doesn't pan out I'll go with the bicycle stand.

LK

delray

ok cool:thumbsup: just remember the type of spring you want to use, has to be very stiff. something like a brake spring on a car with drums. you can find the same type of spring at a hardware store. i use a brake spring tool to install it(very stiff). or maybe a good screwdriver and a pair of safety glasses....:cursing:

Boonie bike kickstand help

Hi everyone, I recently found my original Boonie bike kickstand. It was very rushed and frozen solid. I managed to get the cover/shroud off of it. I sand blasted it and painted it. The problem that I have is that it doesn't lock in either the upright or down position. Since I don't know what the original cover looks like because it rusted, I only have half of it. I don't know if the cover had a indent that acted as a cam/spring into the rotating shaft of the kickstand or if it was just a cover with no function as to a locking mechanism. I made a new cover but it doesn't really lock the kickstand. Here are several pictures of my kickstand project. If anyone has any knowledge what causes the kickstand to lock, I would really appreciate it. I did review the thread about vintage kickstands, but mine doesn't seem to have a pin plus a locking pin. Can anyone take a picture of their Boonie bike kickstand cover or tell me how it keeps the stand locked. Thanks

CarPlayLB

What you refer to as a "cover" was actually a heavy spring that locked a roll pin into the indents in the stand. You need to locate that proper spring that was shaped just like your cover...sort of! Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I sort of follow you. Yes there are indents in the rotating shaft of the stand and if I follow you, I am thinking the cover acts like a spring by holding a roll pin in the indents. Is this what gives it the resistance as you rotate the kickstand lever? And the opposite side of the kickstand barrel has a short locking pin that has stops built into the cover. Should my locking pin be remove able? It seems to be rusted in place. Where do you suppose I could get a picture of the spring/cover? My kickstand has a marking stamped into the lever. It says CECOR 12801 on the kickstand lever

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your assistance. I was able to purchase a steel roll pin and inserted it in my kickstand and then make it operational. It now works as good as new. Afterwards, I was cleaning up the area under my vise, and low and behold, I found the rusty original steel roll pin that must have fallen out when I removed the rusty cover. It was so rusty in color that I didn t even know it was steel or part of the kickstand. It looked like a piece of wood.
Even though I seen the kickstand posting from Marcus stating to be careful when taking the spring/cover off (in fear of losing the roll pin), i didn't see it because of the rust and difficulty in taking the spring off. Thanks again. My kickstand is fully operational.

Last edited: