anyone ever attempt this?

jessez

so i know a guy that has a small dirt bike 80cc (4 stroke) small wheel. where the block is toast and is about the same price as a whole new bike. but the gear box is still good. has anyone ever tryed to spilt thes and mount them to a cloan thinking the work factor would out weigh the cool factor even if it is the right size shaft.

anythoughts?

there is a thread about hooking stationary type motors to shifter bike trannys.. There are a few pics people have sent in showing the ones they built. If you do it right it looks pretty easy really..

there is a thread about hooking stationary type motors to shifter bike trannys.. There are a few pics people have sent in showing the ones they built. If you do it right it looks pretty easy really..
Could you post a link to that thread? Ive only seen the 4 speed lifan in a db30, never seen a clone with a shifter ghetto rigged.

ive seen this done also. on a kx60, what was done is that a down tube was added and bent back so that basically a plate could be added underneath for the engine to mount to (like a rupp roadster). then a jackshaft added and you run a torqe converter on the left. the chain stays on the correct side.. it come out bitchin because you get killer suspension and killer brakes and.... the bike becomes automatic.

here ya go.. :thumbsup: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/engines-modifications/22453-mechanical-engineers-needed-2.html

OH..... and one thing I think I would do is attempt going right through the center of the case with you sproket.. You could use your original clutch and I think centering the power input might help it hold up. Put it off to one side too much ya may run the risk of breaking the case.. :shrug:
you have said this about running power to middle of the (shaft) in other post.think there is no shaft its the crankshaft that im putting power to.the middle of the crank is where the connecting rod goes,how do suppose to put a sprocket there? then i guess you want to replace the crank with a straight shaft? how about the gear that run off crank to gearbox? i guess you want to go in there and change that too! there is more than one way to make this work but this is the simplist if you have the capacity to engineer this set up with a straight shaft instead of putting power to one side of the crank , show us all i really would like to see the process.

a keyed jackshaft the same size as the the original crank should work. the gear that drives the clutch basket is, in my experience keyed to the crank. install a js sprocket on to it and with a js from the engine it should work.

you have said this about running power to middle of the (shaft) in other post.think there is no shaft its the crankshaft that im putting power to.the middle of the crank is where the connecting rod goes,how do suppose to put a sprocket there? then i guess you want to replace the crank with a straight shaft? how about the gear that run off crank to gearbox? i guess you want to go in there and change that too! there is more than one way to make this work but this is the simplist if you have the capacity to engineer this set up with a straight shaft instead of putting power to one side of the crank , show us all i really would like to see the process.
Yeah, thats what most of us had agreed upon is just pull that cast iron out off balance with no piston old crank out and make a totally new strait jackshaft to put in it's place... That way you could run whatever ya want for gears.. It would be easier to hit the opposite side, but the stronger build would be a sprocket inline with what used to be the connecting rod, so you have a bearing on either side of the input power. Slide your sprocket down in the hole and slide a jackshaft through it and tighten it down.... Sounds pretty simple to me. :shrug: