Anyone ever throw a rod?

I have a question:
According to the guys at ARC racing, if all you are doing is removing the governor, you don't even have to run a billet rod and flywheel, because the stock header/muffler, the weak valve springs and such won't really allow you to get high enough RPMs to throw a rod. I don't know if I buy this or not.

When I was a kid and had minis, I would always get a free or very cheap engine off an old tiller or lawn edger. They were all Briggs flatties, and the first thing I would do was clean the carb, and disconnect the governor. I had 3 of them throw a rod, one actually came right through the crank case, the others just banged and clanked around in there. Of course, I never ran high grade oil, or changed the oil much for that matter.

Anyone ever throw a rod on a clone? Anyone run a stock rod on a clone with just the governor removed and no other mods?

bandit 40

Yes, It happens sometimes, all you have to do is NOT hold the throttle open for to long of a time, with the gov. removed without alum. rod. This does not mean it will never throw a rod. and you will most likely notice valve float when you exceed the 3600RPM max. just use your head when you decide to open that throttle to go faster,than your first attempt .:smile:

apekd

I got my gov. removed by my self. Runs fine. I noticed that the motor still revs to (maybe) 5000. When decelerating you can hear just the way that the engine sounds that the motor wasn't meant to be taken to the performance side of things. Misfires on decel are common for a stock motor without gov. the only thing that I would suggest is pulling the WHOLE gov. out, getting a rod and 18lbs valve springs, and maybe a header or make your own as the exhaust is almost like a cork on these things man.

blown up

i have been modding clones for 4yrs and have only thrown one rod this was my fault due to revving engine with no load.from my exp , i have held a clone wide open, no gov , header, after market air filter. for long stretches 1/2 mile maybe 3/4 mile no problems. as long as these engine are under load (on a bike being ridden) i dont think they will throw a rod

I picked up my new MB165 at the Baja service center for 200 dollars. It was brand new and had threw a rod. Well actualy the wrist pin failed first then the rod cam apart but it had only a few hours on it.
Maybe they have a few duds now and then....

Ratbike

No problems here.

I have 4 6.5 clones and 1 11hp clone all with header,after market air filter,gov. removed and drilled jet. Have had no problems at all and they scream for no more than what they are and the money in them!!! Just use some common sense( or should I say uncommon sense):gunsmilie: