Anyone ever try one of these on a Mini?

Hi all,
I was just adding up the costs of modding out a 6.5 clone, by the time you get it cranking out 15+ HP and make it "safe" (billet rod and flywheel) you are into it $400-600 easy.

You could buy a brand new Lifan 200cc, motor with a 5 speed transmission, charging coil kick and electric start for $500-600. LIKE THIS
Anyone ever done it?

I admit, I love tinkering with things, that is half the fun, but sure would be nice to have 17HP and a charging coil right out of the box.

You loose a lot of the simplicity of mini bike with that.

Sure you can probably make it fit but by the time you do its no longer a mini bike but some sort of small motorcycle.

You loose a lot of the simplicity of mini bike with that.

Sure you can probably make it fit but by the time you do its no longer a mini bike but some sort of small motorcycle.
I agree completely. Ive even ruled out 2 strokes for that same reason. Kinda seems like cheating.

Plus....... that engine doesnt have torque for shit. My predator out of the box has a little more than that.

Hi all,
I was just adding up the costs of modding out a 6.5 clone, by the time you get it cranking out 15+ HP and make it "safe" (billet rod and flywheel) you are into it $400-600 easy.

You could buy a brand new Lifan 200cc, motor with a 5 speed transmission, charging coil kick and electric start for $500-600. LIKE THIS
Anyone ever done it?

I admit, I love tinkering with things, that is half the fun, but sure would be nice to have 17HP and a charging coil right out of the box.
These engines are pretty good, I have a dualsport with a similar engine and it will pull me out of the sand and get hauling pretty easy.
I put a similar engine in my "blastard" blaster atv and it works awesome in that.

The dualsport will get up to about 65-70mph tops and the blaster I'd guess hits around 45-50 mph max.
Both are very fun to ride off road.

Using one in a minibike would just make it a mini motorcycle IMO.

If you really want to build one it would be cool to see just the same.

To me ,what makes a minibike unique is the crude simplicity of the engine , and its pullstarter!!!
However one of those engines would be well suited to a minichopper , or on the same site the verticle engine, and mount it a old school bicycle frame for a early board track vintage racer!!!

To me ,what makes a minibike unique is the crude simplicity of the engine , and its pullstarter!!!
However one of those engines would be well suited to a minichopper , or on the same site the verticle engine, and mount it a old school bicycle frame for a early board track vintage racer!!!
Board track bicycle would be cool.

same engine on my Kikker 5150. I think you'd have to mod the bike WAY too much for it to be called a "MINI" bike. exhaust, battery, clutch, shifter, controls, lots of wiring. and dont forget the weight difference.

cool idea, but it would cease to be a "mini bike". just my thoughts

Those 200cc engines can be made to go fairly decent but not scary fast since I can just peg the throttle wide open and run it through all 5 gears without to much trouble offroad.

Mine woke up quite a bit with a free flowing exhuast, K&N filter and a rejet from 98 to 115, cant tweak the timing, easily anyway.

I say if you want to build it then go ahead it would still be a cool project.

One of those engines in the now discontinued from NorthenTool "PUMA" kits would be a fun ride but they are still selling those at BJ's I think ready to run for $600.
($500 when on sale)PUMA

Neck

Growing up is optional
I have often wondered the same thing about the Drag Race guys and their push rod engines. I mean why spend a few grand on a mostly industrial engine that will be temperamental and unreliable, when you can go buy a retired Speedway Jawa OHC engine set up to run on Methanol that will spin 10 grand for 5 laps all season long between rebuilds, and come with a great manual dry clutch/transmission setup for less?

65ShelbyClone

I have often wondered the same thing about the Drag Race guys and their push rod engines. I mean why spend a few grand on a mostly industrial engine that will be temperamental and unreliable, when you can go buy a retired Speedway Jawa OHC engine set up to run on Methanol that will spin 10 grand for 5 laps all season long between rebuilds, and come with a great manual dry clutch/transmission setup for less?
There are a lot of factors involved, most of which I am aware of, but still don't understand the logic behind them. :1orglaugh:

cxbra

Cool engines but I feel like minibikes are not meant for gears. Sure you can move foot placement and line up the shifter lever but I think there would be too many issues with fit and finish (engine not centered etc). Ive seen it done and it looks cool but the guy said it was far more fabrication than he bargained for and he only finished it becuase he paid so much for the engine.