ARC Top Place / Throttle Assembly

Dubs

Can someone help a noob understand what the benefits are of the ARC top plate? It would seem to clean up the engine if you're using a remote fuel tank... but does it provide any benefits other than appearance?

I wish I hadn't bought mine. I've seen guys mount the fuel pump on the flywheel housing. I am not running a gov on my kart motor, but I used the existing arm to hook up the throttle. It's kinda hard to explain, and I can't take a good pic because the top plate is in the way. If you're creative enough to whip up a way to connect your throttle, you don't need the plate. Are you going to run a fuel pump, or are you just gonna allow gravity to do the job?

Dubs

I have a remote fuel tank that sits on top of the DB frame between the handlebars and the seat... I'm planning to have a gravity feed. And looking at my pred motor, it has a clamp and eyelet nut for the throttle hook up - seems pretty straight forward - hope I'm not missing anything.

I have all the parts, just need time to hook everything up. The main reasoning for my question was I thought perhaps the top plate smoothed out the throttle operation, but sounds like its purely for looks and fuel pump mounting... neither of which I really am too concerned about.

Thanks for the replies!

the top plate does have a much smoother feel in throttle pull than the stock control, just a matter of what you like to look at and what you want to spend. IMO, it looks better than naked or with a cube on top, but I know others that would disagree.

T-Town Mini

Yes, it's much better with the cable attached on a top plate.

I wanted to keep all the original throttle control and governor setup intact on my predator and it wouldn't work any other way for me.

I tried both attachment points on the predator and my cable had too much resistance keeping it from returning back to idle. It didn't snap back like it should and that was even with a heavier return spring attached.

The mechanism operated smoothly by hand but attaching the cable made it stick. I had a new cable so I knew it wasn't snagged and there were no loose strands on it. The stop/hold washer was removed when I first pulled the engine out of the box so that wasn't an issue. It just wouldn't work unless the cable was aimed straight at the engine from the front.

Mounting it on a top plate made the throttle work correctly. A lined cable would be the only other way to go.

Yes, it's much better with the cable attached on a top plate.

I wanted to keep all the original throttle control and governor setup intact on my predator and it wouldn't work any other way for me.

I tried both attachment points on the predator and my cable had too much resistance keeping it from returning back to idle. It didn't snap back like it should and that was even with a heavier return spring attached.

The mechanism operated smoothly by hand but attaching the cable made it stick. I had a new cable so I knew it wasn't snagged and there were no loose strands on it. The stop/hold washer was removed when I first pulled the engine out of the box so that wasn't an issue. It just wouldn't work unless the cable was aimed straight at the engine from the front.

Mounting it on a top plate made the throttle work correctly. A lined cable would be the only other way to go.
Now that is a cool top plate! I'd run one of those all day long!

Dubs

I ended up pulling the trigger and purchased the ARC top plate from OldMiniBikes (thanks, OldMiniBikes - fast shipping as always!).

Now ... onto the shameful question: How do you install it, and does it bypass the governor (which I don't want to do)?

Dubs

Probably should have spent the 10 min I just did researching the issue prior to purchasing :laugh:

Based on my light reading ... sounds like I am unable to mount the top plate as intended while keeping the governor in tact.

bummer.

ARC Top Plate ... coming to a classifieds posting near you!

I haven't fooled w/top plates but relax , I'm sure you can use it and not by-pass the governor . It is still just a simple cable to linkage connection no matter what :thumbsup:

T-Town Mini

You can still use it with the governor in place, Dubs. Look at my setup again...that's exactly what I've done.

Instead of having the ARC linkage connected directly to the throttle on the carb have a shorter rod connect to the original predator throttle hand lever. That's where I've connected the rod I made.

Zoom in for a closeup look...there's already a hole in the predator hand lever where the rod is attached.

T-Town Mini

Why could you not simply drill a hole in the large stock throttle arm and connect cable there ??
What do you mean exactly? It already has holes in it and has a cable mounting point attached.

I think Dubs said he had the throttle hooked up in one of those stock locations provided and was running it that way already. He was just interested in using a top plate is all.

For my setup the stock cable mounting locations on the predator would not work using the crappy cable I got. It was binding up and sticking open no matter which way I routed it. So, I tried it this way and made it work with the governor still intact. It would be completely unnecessary with a good cable.

You can make the stock set up smooth as butter. Replace the washers at the stock throttle pivot point with flat roller bearing thrust washers, one on top and one on the bottom.

With no govenor I had to drill the arm at about the elbow then bend a rod out of coat hanger.

Simple , run the cable thru the mount on top plate , let it continue the 6" or so and connect to the big throttle arm with a hole drilled in it a and a keeper ! Again I have no top plates but it seems so simple to connect a cable ? Maybe I'm missing something ??

Chipper - I might not be following your logic, but the big throttle arm would has to be 'pushed' not 'pulled' ... if that makes sense. Again, maybe I'm not following you.