Arduino ignition

I found this and was so interested in the idea of combining a Tach, ignition and Data logger into one device I decided to buy a clone Arduino Mega for just this purpose.

That and I can Monitor EGT, and an O2 sensor.

Here is the article that peaked my interest.

Arduino based small engine ignition controller | Nixworld

This is the Mega 2560 I bought.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTs7Lc1qx-YnxeiSbzoQel_Pkrv0V1vbNbvuo5knMe9pM0vHkY0

The Data logger hardware.
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1829480457_1/New-Data-Logger-Module-Logging-Recorder-Shield-V1-0-for-Arduino-UNO-SD-Card.jpg

The LCD display ( in an automotive application too boot! )
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhqF5sofzdX4AN0KiwAe6cpB_X8mV7Fa4s5WttHsykqPny1TC6

I thought I would share since this seems to be the direction the wind is blowing in my latest tinkering.

This is cool... Although kinda new to understanding electronic ignition.
Is this to make multiple spark impulses per cycle.
So does this use the exsisting magnet to sense the firing point or is there a mod for the flywheel.

This is not an ignition.

Its a computer that can be programmed to be the ignition or the fuel injection or the data logger and it could even send a text message to your phone and say someone has stolen your bike if you were really fancy.

These kinds of electronics have made huge leaps in simplicity and friendliness as compared to 25 years ago when I was first introduced to microprocessors.

Small easy to program, cheap, low power consumption and LOTS off memory peripherals ports and stuff...

This is tiny!
just a 9 volt battery to run it ( but can run 5-16 volts ).
Real power for the ignition would require more but that's not hard to deal with

IMG_0674.jpg

Nice and simple!

Add more code and a knock sensor later if he wants.
The beauty of this stuff is you can change the code in seconds and if you don't like the result change it right back.

Hey NOS, good to see you adopted Arduino. You can do some tasks with it that are almost impossible otherwise, for example advancing timing up to a certain high RPM, then retarding it above that speed. Please share what you do with it.

Jeep: I found an easy starting point: the PICAXE micro controller. Even I can program it, using freebie flowchart software. The smallest one looks like a 555 timer chip. Everything to get started is 30 bucks. Check out a PICAXE-08 Starter Pack.

Jon

Yes I am giving serious consideration to programing all these ideas.

I bought this kit ( took a long time to get about 5 weeks from China ) to experiment with.
Likely I would by another smaller board and solder up something permanent rather than us large mega board.
I just wanted all the options and memory I could buy in an arduino.
Free shipping mega 2560 r3 starter kit motor servo RFID Ultrasonic Ranging relay LCD for arduino-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I even think about going to drive by wire and switching to propane fuel injection

This is close to what I trained on 90s and back then it was a very expensive and complicated thing to try and do things with.
The language and compiler were clunky and you had to understand what was happening inside at the bit and register level to use it.
Arduino and these modern Micro systems now are designed for anyone with the interest and some basic electronics and computer skill to use.

Wytec 68HC11 development board/boards: EVBplus2

Last edited:

Wax

Its good but will it handle the dirty power that's caused by the coil.
I used to market my own set of ignitions systems for jetskis but it was so hard to make them reliable.
I am doing an ignition for my gx200 right as we speak using an msd 4217

The arduino will not drive a coil direct, but thanks to IGBTs its much easier today to build a circuit that can.

I was thinking a coil from GM HEI system or one of those direct coil to plug set ups.
It all comes down to power requirements.

This is fantastic!!! That's one heck of a kit from aliexpress. I've been wanting to start messing with arduino and that may be the way to go.