Are these any good?

Hi all,

I found one of these, brand new for $90. I realize that is a pretty good price, but I am wondering if these are reliable motors. It would be for a kid's mini, so I want a motor that will fire up 1st or 2nd pull every time, and run well. Not looking to race or modify at all, just looking for reliability. I have heard the Tecs aren't very reliable, but never owned on.

Thoughts?

richs

their fine just keep oil in them some times the bowl type carbs have problems the only problem I found is if its a side exaust their easy to burn your leg on exspecialy with kids

He's lucky and found one with rear exhaust.There are guys on here that do not like Tecumseh engines, I have mostly Tecumseh flat head engines and I will take them over Briggs any day. The engine you are looking at has Electronic ignition it will start easily.

Last edited:
Got it! Thanks for the input. It really is brand new, never had fuel in it, never been fired, not bad for $90. Even the HF clones I can get with a $99 coupon cost nearly $130 by the time I pay tax and for the 2 yr instant replacement warranty. Hope this motor has a long and useful life putting my kids around.:smile:

Thanks for telling me to get the motor. IT BLEW UP!:doah:

No, just kidding. So far, it is exactly what I wanted for a kid's minibike. It starts super easy, runs smooth, idles low, and seems to have really good low end torque for a 3.5 HP. Even with me and my son on, (a little over 250lbs) it had no difficulty taking us up the neighborhood hills, very quiet too, even with the tiny muffler. I am very happy with it!:smile: