Atlas is coming along

Just taking my time...everyone likes pictures....

Progress....I've repainted the wheels and added new hardware including bearings and spacers...tubes and tires.

welded on foot pegs have been ground off.

Throttle added. Engine painted and carb and tank cleaned.

Waiting on rear rim paint to cure and sprocket/chain to arrive.

Keep up the good work, I restored one last year and used all original parts, nuts and bolts. I sand and bead blasted every single part, and straightened the 1" forks, wife made the seat and I painted the logo.

The bike cost me $30 and the whole thing came in at about $200 with the engine/new tires/ bearings/chain/grips/paint. good prep (no dings or scratches under the paint) The peg and brake covers are edger handles from parting engines. The model is the MB 2500. It now has a Briggs edger engine in it ($20) (better "fit" and look) and they came with both.

Last edited:
Very nice. That was the original color of this bike....but I'm going with red and dark grey. As you know it's not a very collectable bike so....go with what you like. I ordered a new sprocket from MFG and it should be here this week so I hope to get it all mocked up this coming weekend.

Things left to do include...
Paint
Seat....think I'm going to contact the member here to have one made
fenders
kill switch
line chain up and cut axle spacers for rear hub
throttle connection
and finally install band clutch brake kit from allied.

On my B&S engine the throttle is activated by pulling down toward the ground. I remember from my youth that the old throttle cable ran down under the engine between the tank and block. the outer sheath was held in place by a single bolt/clamp that threaded into the gas tank support. Does anyone use this setup when connecting their throttles on 3hp B&S?

Very nice. That was the original color of this bike....but I'm going with red and dark grey. As you know it's not a very collectable bike so....go with what you like. I ordered a new sprocket from MFG and it should be here this week so I hope to get it all mocked up this coming weekend.
the outer sheath was held in place by a single bolt/clamp that threaded into the gas tank support. Does anyone use this setup when connecting their throttles on 3hp B&S?
Actually the Atlas bikes ain't as common as Bonanza's and other bikes but paint doesn't matter since it can be easily changed.

I don't use the the throttle at the bottom because of the extra linkage parts and I pull the gov's anyway, the cable is a smother setup without all that crap causing drag but to each their own.. The only bike I pull from the bottom are my Troopers because the cable feeds through the frame there and it would take 4 more feet to come around the frame since there's no bars in the middle..

Well, got the motor mocked up and mounted last night. Also reconnected the governer springs and connected the new twist throttle using the original cable clamp at the bottom of the gas tank bracket.

Need to get a cable stop today but all in all the throttle setup works great. Couple Atlas questions.

What is the steel tab hanging down from the frame under the seat for?

This atlas looks to have two seat supports and a front bracket that has a hole in it for a kill switch maybe? Any other ideas what it's for?

I need a seat for this thing...any idea what they came with out of the factory?