Aussie '71 Deltek Rockhopper build

ben23

Hey guys, another Aussie here, and my 1971 Deltek Rockhopper....as mentioned by a few other Aussie Deltek/Deckson owners on here already these bikes were imported from Taiwan minus an engine and had Victa 125cc 2 stroke engines, which here were most commonly found on Victa lawn mowers and edgers.

The Victa 160cc which was a common upgrade that bolted straight in place of the 125, usually pinched from dad's Victa lawn mower :p. The only difference is that the motors fitted to these bikes had an AMAL slide type carburettor fitted.

Mine was given to me in October 2005 after my mate lost interest in it and his dad asked me if I wanted it, neither of us had ridden it as his dad had bought it off of eBay in not running condition. It ran, but wouldn't rev properly nor would the centrifugal clutch engage. Luckily the bike still had everything intact, all the frame parts and the hard to find bits were still there.

I got my licence and first car about 6 months after getting the bike so naturally the bike took the back seat for a while. 7 years actually, and here we are in 2012 and I have finally dragged it out of the shed and started the rebuild.

First was to sort out an engine. The original motor got thrown away a long time ago when i first started playing with it, so I sourced a 5.5hp chinese honda clone 4 stroke motor off of eBay, along with a clutch and twistgrip (original was broken). After unbolting the Victa engine adaptor plate, the holes in the frame are standard industrial engine measurement, and after running a 10mm drill through the holes, the motor bolted straight up.

Then i stripped back the frame, etch primed it all and painted the frame bright green :), with the tank, forks and shocks black with red springs :D

Old bearings were noisy, rough and very worn, so knocked them out and replaced them with brand new sealed 6202RS bearings. Had to centre punch the bearing surface on one hub as the fit was a bit sloppy but that fixed it :)
New clutch shown on left, centre is rear hub/brake drum and right is front hub, both with new bearings fitted.

And where im up to now, after finally getting the rear shocks apart, painted and back together i have put the seat back on but needs to come off for a VERY good clean after sitting outside for so long.

Until the 25th of September this year I hadn't touched the bike since '06, so I feel I've made fairly good progress already :)

Going to go get inner tubes tomorrow as i feel my tyres are fine, and then I can get the wheels back together and back on the bike :D

-Cheers.

ben23

Cheers for the warm welcome and comments guys, its come a bit further now, got two new inner tubes for the tyres, and its now a roller :D still need to get chain, plumb the fuel tank and get the brake and throttle cables sorted. As well as either get my handlebars rechromed or buy a new old stock set ive found for $220. Guy also wants 220 for chain guard.....hmmmm a bit pricey i feel.....

well after getting a chain sorted, its a runner now :D gotta go buy a brake cable 2moro and hook up my throttle cable, twistgrip and brake lever, but she runs and moves :D Was a slight issue with the engine, wouldn't idle low enough and the clutch kept wanting to engage, so an hour of fiddling with the governor linkage and spring and she idles good now. Feels like its gonna be a quick little bike :) hope my brakes pull me up hahaha. Pics coming soon

Been a bit slack with the updates, but she's all together and running, brakes and throttle are all hooked up, it goes really, really well and the brakes pull up better than i was expecting......heres a video - Riding the minibike finally :D - YouTube

Keeping standard muffler and that on it, keeps it reliable, quiet and out of trouble, seeing as I'm not supposed to be riding it in a park or on the street or anywhere else thats public haha. Although I was looking at the little miniature turbo and fuel injection kits available....that would be deadly on a bike that has only a single rear drum brake :p

Clutch has given me no problems, pulls me up hills fine, just need to get a link or 2 taken out of the chain so i can get back some adjustment room, the chain was a custom size so ended up a couple of links too big. Used nyloc nuts on everything that I could (shocks, wheel adjusters, brake cable at wheel end), and lock washers on the axle nuts, so nothng shakes loose and kills me.

Chroming was going to be fairly expensive so just painted the handlebars green like the frame.

Here it is since the last update

All finished except for the brake cable.

After brake cable fitted, filled up at my local service station, the attendant had a laugh :), $2.43 australian......got me around 1.5 litres of premium unleaded. tank was already half full