Axle question?

Lindy

My son and I are in the home stretch of our first Rupp project and hope to be riding in the next week.

We bought a 72 Roadster; broke it down; cleaned and replaced old, worn out and missing parts; and now in the rebuilding phase. Everything is going together great. The back wheel bearings gave us a challenge, even using a Blind Eye Bearing Puller but we got them out and replaced. Our question is how much should we tighten the nuts on the axles? Over tightening will cause the bearings to not turn properly, not enough and the chain will loosen up on the back.

Any words of wisdom on the amount of torque I should set them at or is it just a "feel" thing and we have to play around until we get it right?

jrzmac

My son and I are in the home stretch of our first Rupp project and hope to be riding in the next week.

We bought a 72 Roadster; broke it down; cleaned and replaced old, worn out and missing parts; and now in the rebuilding phase. Everything is going together great. The back wheel bearings gave us a challenge, even using a Blind Eye Bearing Puller but we got them out and replaced. Our question is how much should we tighten the nuts on the axles? Over tightening will cause the bearings to not turn properly, not enough and the chain will loosen up on the back.

Any words of wisdom on the amount of torque I should set them at or is it just a "feel" thing and we have to play around until we get it right?
you should be able to tighten the nuts up pretty tight. it shouldn't effect the bearings at all. the axle spacers are supposed to line up with the center of the bearings and not touch any other part! only the center, this way you could crank down the nuts and not worry about the bearings binding! am I wrong? anybody else wanna chime in? thats the way it is on mine. I hope you bought the right type of bearings.... are these the ones you got? 5/8" x 1-3/8" Precision Sealed Bearing with Snap-Ring - AZ8205 how about a few pics???

Make a spacer to go inside the wheel , between the bearing inner races. Then you can tighten without loading thru the bearings. It takes some measuring,

Otherwise , you need a nut on each side of the frame tab. Hand tighten the inner nuts so the bearings are not side loaded. Then you can tighten the outer nuts, thru the tab, against the inner nuts. It is the same as you used to do with the front wheel on your bicycle.

You need bearings with the snapring or your wheel can move on the bearings.

In my first post, I assumed you didn't have an axle spacer. If you do, then make certain your bearings have the snap ring and tighten the nuts securely.

You should also have short spacers between the bearing inner races and the frame tabs. ( you can see these on the outside of the bearings.)

Lindy

I'll post some pics tonight. The old bearings I removed didn't have the snap ring. I do have an axle spacer running from bearing to bearing on the inside of the wheel and also spacers on the outside. Right now, if I tighten the nuts too much the bearings do bind, so either I didn't get the bearings seeded correctly or the inner axle spacer is too short. But something isn't right.

markus

Aren't the axles stepped down at the ends on a 12" wheel Rupp? I dont have an assy here right now but I thought that they are and essentially if everything is correct the axle gets locked to the swingarm and wheels/spacers/brake technically floats on the axle so there really shouldnt be much pressure on the bearings when assembled.

Here are the pictures of my bearings. The bearings seem to be binding because of the break stop. When I tighten the bolt the break assembly doesn't sit straight and is now at an angle.

Could this be my issue?

Here's a close up. For some reason the brake assembly isn't fully sitting on the hub. Then when I start to tighten the nut the brake stop screw is putting the brake assembly on a bind and then putting pressure on the bearings. The bearings seem to be fully inserted but something isn't letting the brake assembly sit properly. I hate to really force the bearings any more.

Only three things I can guess. One the wheel bearings you have are not wide enough. Or two the wheel spacer are backwards. The longer wheel spacer goes on the brake drum side of rim. Or three you have the wrong wheel spacers all together.