B&S 3HP info

Hey guys

just got an MTD mini today with a 3hp Brigg on it...the wiring/kill switch has been cut apart and jerry rigged by the previous owner....and the carb is a???? and is junk along with a homemade carb intake extension tube.

I am looking for any info I can get on this engine, so I can replace the carb, and also replace the kill switch

Here is what the model and serial number say on the plate on the side of the shroud:
the engine model number: 80202, type: 2917-01

hope you guys can help me out.
Dan

Hello flyweed. If this is the original shroud, you should have a Horizontal Pulsa - Jet carb. If the code on the shroud is still legible the first two digits will tell you the manufacturing year i.e. Code: 81097603 would mean that is was manufactured in 1981. If you do have a pulsa-jet carb, there should be a diaphragm on the side, needle and seat, and two fuel pipes extending out underneath the carb.

As for your kill switch wire, it should look similar to mine protruding out on the 81' Briggs 3 HP with a pulsa - jet carb. Again I don't know the year of your engine so it may look different.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hey guys

just got an MTD mini today with a 3hp Brigg on it...the wiring/kill switch has been cut apart and jerry rigged by the previous owner....and the carb is a???? and is junk along with a homemade carb intake extension tube.

I am looking for any info I can get on this engine, so I can replace the carb, and also replace the kill switch

Here is what the model and serial number say on the plate on the side of the shroud:
the engine model number: 80202, type: 2917-01

hope you guys can help me out.
Dan
Dan I have a good original briggs carb and gas tank ready to bolt on your engine 25 + shipping or pick up here.LMK

Rocco.

Rocco, will the carb/tank setup fit with the jackshaft that's on the bike? this bike normally uses the tank that is mounted up in front of the seat. and a line run to the carb.

I'm pretty sure on the bike you have it will fit just fine...you need a hotdog muffler to go with this set up and I have one I'll give you with the carb.Where in WI are you located?

65ShelbyClone

Without knowing what the serial is, the model indicates 8 cubic inches, design series 0, horizontal shaft, plain journal bearings, and a rewind starter.