baja blitz only runs with choke

I just picked up a baja blitz for my kids. It fires up first pull with choke, idles fine when choke is turned off but as soon as i open the throttle it dies. It will idle and accelerate at half choke but not when the choke is off. I am going to replace the plug and change the oil after work but would like some opinions on where to go next.

Also the oil drain plug is just above the motor plate, is there a way to drain the oil without letting run all over the motor plate? Thanks in advance for any help.

most people with the stock engine say they run best at half choke.

the oil gets on the plate, that's just the way it is. i usually pull the engine if i want to do an oil change.

my guess is that it is a lean situation. I messed with the mixture screw and it didn't even effect idle. I guess the kids can run it at half choke until we upgrade to the harbor freight 6.5!!

cxbra

my guess is that it is a lean situation. I messed with the mixture screw and it didn't even effect idle. I guess the kids can run it at half choke until we upgrade to the harbor freight 6.5!!
The biggest piece of advice in tuning your carb is patience. Make sure you do a 1/4 in or out at a time, ride the bike for a few minutes.. then do another 1/4 turn and so on.The idle speed screw (black plastic screw on the top of the carb) will instandly raise or lower your idle, but the small brass screw ONLY adjusts the air/fuel mixture (wont change your idle).

I just refuse to let everybody think that the stock 2.5 wont run, (though they come basically non functioning from the factory). Mine wouldnt even start out of the box. I screwed the brass air/fuel mix screw all the way in, then turned it out 3 turns. Fired her up.. extremely rich.. barely started. Then 1/4 turn out and rode it around the block, getting better. Did another 1/4 turn and voila, 27 mph.

Loosening the screw richens it.

What you need to do is take the main jet out of the carb and open it up one size bigger. You'll need a set of number/jeweler drill bits or at least a torch tip reamer/cleaner.

The EPA mandates these things to be emissions friendly and Baja had to take all the fuel and balls out of them for them to pass. They barely run in stock form until you go just a touch bigger on jets.

cxbra

What you need to do is take the main jet out of the carb and open it up one size bigger. You'll need a set of number/jeweler drill bits or at least a torch tip reamer/cleaner.

The EPA mandates these things to be emissions friendly and Baja had to take all the fuel and balls out of them for them to pass. They barely run in stock form until you go just a touch bigger on jets.
You sure? Well, there are probably differences between doodlebugs. Mine actually seems like it gets too much fuel. I had to lean it out a lot (till I heard pinging), then I richened up a tad bit from that point and now I have a 2.5hp beast on my hands lol.

I just pulled the carb and gave it a good cleaning. Suprised how small the jet is. Does anyone sell jets for these things, even the stock size so I have a back up before I start drilling?

You can always just solder the jet and redrill to the first size. You really shouldnt have any problem just going up one size though. Just get the right equipment and take your time. Test after each change. You'll know right away if you are going the right way.

I fixed mine ( it was doing the same thing) By pulling it off the bike and putting it on ebay... I no nothing about those motors and i just drilled new holes and put the 5hp on there.