Baja MB200 Comet TAV2 Torque Converter Help Please

[/url]

Hello Gentleman,

Just received from gokatsusa.com the Comet TAV2 1002B Torque Converter kit. The kit contains 3/4" bore, #40/#41 chain with a 10 tooth sprocket. I read from several posters this was the best option for the Baja MB 200. I am new to this site and the minibike scene and have some very elementary questions as I am running into trouble right out of the gate with the install.

Question #1: Can someone please confirm the oem crankshaft that came with the clone engine is in fact drilled and tapped (photo below)?

Thank you as I am new to this site and minibikes I appreciate the help.
Brad-

Thank you Cheezy1. Once, I figure out the proper assembly of the
TAV 2 I will post some photos with the install challenges I am having.
Are you willing to hang in with me? Thank you.

joekd

Just post up any issues you have, myself and tons of others here have been through it many times on warriors, heats, MB's, etc

You may need an insert to take up the space if the crank isnt long enough :doah: I made one for joekd :thumbsup: If you need one I can make one for you too :thumbsup:

Just wanted to know what it did for the puma? I have one also.
Performance wise?
It helps a lot. With the default gearing you won't really gain much low end but the top speed will be nearly doubled (38 mph I believe). You can gear it low and have tons of power. Installing it on the Puma may take a little more work than on the Baja. I'm working on a website that'll show the modifications I've done to my bike and have other information as well. That way I can show what I did easier. Because there seems to be a lot of torque converter questions.

MB200 Crankshaft bolt & washer

Thank you all for your encouragement. Finally after the spring football game I realized I had the driven on backwards. Duh! Next challenge...I need a smaller Bolt and washer that screws into the crankshaft to hold the driven on. Does anyone know what diameter size bolt and washer I need? Thank you and GO Bucks,
Brad

Okay, so after Joekd was kind enough to provide the crankshaft dimensions I was able to run out to Home Depot to purchase a 5/16-fine thread bolt. I am concerned because I could not find a 5/16"-24 fine thread bolt at Home Depot....

I am reposting 3 pics. The first showing the OEM crankshaft with the 2 small holes drilled at the top for a small pin that held the OEM clutch to the shaft (as reference). The second pic (trying to show the inside of the crankshaft) because there appears to be a small pilot hole about 3/8" already in there. And, pic #3 showing the same inside of the crankshaft (it's hard to get a photo of the inside of that bugger).

Question #1 - can someone please confirm this shaft is already tapped and drilled? Sorry for asking a 2nd time but I think my first photo post at the beginning of this thread was hard to see.

Question #2 - if this shaft is indeed tapped and rilled could my lack of understanding on Joekd bolt dimensions, specifically the -24 fine thread part be causing me to believe the bolt will not fit? When I try to insert the bolt its as if there are no threads on the inside of the shaft for the bolt to catch?

Sorry for all the dumb questions but at least I am trying:) Thank you all. I will try to past the photos into the bottom of this post here:

buckeye

It's hard to tell. Can you take a small piece of wire and run it in and feel if it is threaded?? Like when you pull it out can ya feel ridges. Make sense??

Wire test failed...

definitely no existing threads inside that shaft Buckeye! Not the news I was hoping to hear from a 2010 model Baja MB200...seems weird but on the good news front I get to go buy a new tap tool this morning and perform my first drill and tap...I will report back later today. I guess the worst that happens is I screw up the shaft and then get to purchase a new one that is already drilled and tapped. Should be fun and thanks again.

GO BUCKS!

Wait, this engine came on your Baja? Like I said on my Puma it was a metric thread. And on my HF engine it was the 5/16". What's going on here? :001_tt2:

metric thread?

Manco,

I promise I am not ignoring your earlier post about metric threads. In all honest its just my lack of understanding...if I think I understand then the metric threading would be much more fine than non metric threading...if I am understanding correctly, there could be threads inside the shaft per Buckeye's wire test but maybe they are so fine the wire didn't scrape against them.

Most everyone else on the post who has a MB 200 or similar baja claims to have the shaft drilled and tapped and are somewhat surprised in my ignorance that I keep saying its not.

Before running out to buy the tap tool (still doing research on what size tap?) and some new solid cobalt drill bits you comment has again peeked my interest.

Question - - are suggesting I try a bold that is another dimension other than the 5/16"-24 fine thread? I believe you are suggesting I try a metric size bolt? Would you be willing to provide me with the dimensions of that metric bolt...I can run out to home depot and purchase one and see if I can get it to secure inside the crankshaft?
Thank you Manco.

Manco,

I promise I am not ignoring your earlier post about metric threads. In all honest its just my lack of understanding...if I think I understand then the metric threading would be much more fine than non metric threading...if I am understanding correctly, there could be threads inside the shaft per Buckeye's wire test but maybe they are so fine the wire didn't scrape against them.

Most everyone else on the post who has a MB 200 or similar baja claims to have the shaft drilled and tapped and are somewhat surprised in my ignorance that I keep saying its not.

Before running out to buy the tap tool (still doing research on what size tap?) and some new solid cobalt drill bits you comment has again peeked my interest.

Question - - are suggesting I try a bold that is another dimension other than the 5/16"-24 fine thread? I believe you are suggesting I try a metric size bolt? Would you be willing to provide me with the dimensions of that metric bolt...I can run out to home depot and purchase one and see if I can get it to secure inside the crankshaft?
Thank you Manco.
No, don't worry about the metric threads. All I meant was that theses engines aren't consistent. You'd think they'd have the same threads. There's both fine and standard threads for metric and English or whatever you want to call it. I am surprised your engine isn't threaded at all, like I said I thought it was weird that mine was different than everyone elses.

If you can't see or feel threads in there than it's not threaded. The threads wouldn't be so small that you couldn't see them, they probably wouldn't work then.

What is that sticking out of the shaft? I have never seen one? Does it just unscrew and you then can screw in the bolt? I would thread on 2 nuts and then try unscrewing it by loosening the inner nut and the outer nut would keep the inner from coming off.Unless I cant see in the picture if it is part of the shaft. Randy