Band brakes / Clutch / Throttle help needed for this rookie

Ok Folks, I'm in need of some input as to what I need and what is missing on this Little Gen mini I bought last weekend. Since I'm new to the mini bike world, please explain things in simple terms. LOL.
So pictured is what I have. Per the original ad, when you push forward on the peddle that of course is the gas. When you push the back of the pedal thats the brakes.
So the band loosens its grip on the clutch (missing) when you give it gas, and tightens when hitting the brakes. When I push down for the gas, the peddle only goes down about 1/2". Is that enough to activate a throttle?

Not sure where the throttle cable would have been hooked up to on the linkage? Any idea?
I do see that guide further back on the frame. I'm assuming the throttle cable went through that guide and up to the throttle on the engine.

The farmer I bought it from said I need a centrifugal clutch (missing). Any recommendations? Size, brand?

I'm guessing that I need to know the diameter of the clutch before I can order the correct brake band size?

Why is there a pulley currently mounted on the engine shaft?
I do have the chain that I removed from the bike. I soaked it in Evaporust and then coated it with oil so thats done.

I would love to keep it as original as possible, but if that's not an option I guess I will have to modify it to make it road worthy.

It has two "Carlisle" brand tires, and one "General" tire on it. Not sure which if either would have been the originals?

Again, thanks for any input you can give me.
-Doug in NC-

Attachments

That is a very interesting set up for throttle and brake. The clutch will be determined by the output shaft diameter of your engine and the type of chain you are running.
Can you explain what you mean by type of chain? Here is what was on the bike. Not sure if this helps?

Attachments

nightgrider

Can you explain what you mean by type of chain? Here is what was on the bike. Not sure if this helps?
Yep that's it. #35 and #40 are the most common used in mini bikes (#35 for most mini bikes). The Clutch sprocket needs to be matched to the chain type, the pitch is different between #35 and #40 chain. #40 is usually used for heavy duty/performance applications.

nightgrider

I'm not very familiar with this bike, but that engine may not be the original. The pulley could be from whatever machine the engine came from, an edger, rototiller, etc.

Last edited:
Ok, so I took everything off of the frame.
The engine is in a shop being looked at.

Here is where I'm stumped.....
I could really use some input on what I need to order as far a clutch and brake band. Centrifugal clutch? Brake band size?
Specific pictures or links would help.
Is the clutch the first step?

What I do know I have is:
Rear tire size: 4.10/3.50 - 4 (10" tire)
Sprocket : 60 teeth - 7 1/2"
Chain : #35 (42")

I think I have figured out the linkage. The stop and go action is all done through the foot pedal which activates the brake band a clutch. There will be a throttle cable attached to the linkage rod at one and and to the engine throttle at the other end. No throttle or brake cables were attached to the forks on this model.
Hope that makes sense.
So many clutches out there is what I am confused about.
Help please.
Thanks,
Doug

Attachments

nightgrider

With the engine being on the small side. I'd go with an 11 tooth clutch to give you a final drive ratio around 5.45:1 that should provide enough low end to get it moving with the 60 tooth rear sprocket. When searching for the clutch make sure it is compatible with #35 chain (it should be specified). I think 2 - 2.5 hp Briggs' have a 5/8 inch diameter output shaft. But you should check the output shaft diameter on your engine to be sure. So you'll want a clutch with a 5/8 inch bore.

With the engine being on the small side. I'd go with an 11 tooth clutch to give you a final drive ratio around 5.45:1 that should provide enough low end to get it moving with the 60 tooth rear sprocket. When searching for the clutch make sure it is compatible with #35 chain (it should be specified). I think 2 - 2.5 hp Briggs' have a 5/8 inch diameter output shaft. But you should check the output shaft diameter on your engine to be sure. So you'll want a clutch with a 5/8 inch bore.
That's the info I was looking for. Thank you.
So once I pick the clutch, is that how the band brake size it determined?
Say the clutch has a 4" diameter, what band size would I want?

nightgrider

That's the info I was looking for. Thank you.
So once I pick the clutch, is that how the band brake size it determined?
Say the clutch has a 4" diameter, what band size would I want?
You are welcome. You should double check your output shaft diameter before you order the clutch just to make sure you get the right bore. A 4 inch band brake is what you'll want to look for. The size indication for band brakes is to show what size drum or clutch it should be used with. So 4 inch clutch needs a 4 inch band brake.

You are welcome. You should double check your output shaft diameter before you order the clutch just to make sure you get the right bore. A 4 inch band brake is what you'll want to look for. The size indication for band brakes is to show what size drum or clutch it should be used with. So 4 inch clutch needs a 4 inch band brake.
Can't thank you enough. Once I confirm the shaft diameter I will get some parts ordered.
I saw on Hent.com there was an 11 tooth 5/8 Max Torq and a 11 tooth 5/8 centrifugal clutch. I want the centrifugal one correct?

nightgrider

Can't thank you enough. Once I confirm the shaft diameter I will get some parts ordered.
I saw on Hent.com there was an 11 tooth 5/8 Max Torq and a 11 tooth 5/8 centrifugal clutch. I want the centrifugal one correct?
You are welcome. Max torq is name brand centrifugal clutch the other is probably just an unbranded. Either one should fit your application. I run an unbranded clutch on my 212 with no issues. But everyone has their preference on brands, I'm just not too picky.

You are welcome. Max torq is name brand centrifugal clutch the other is probably just an unbranded. Either one should fit your application. I run an unbranded clutch on my 212 with no issues. But everyone has their preference on brands, I'm just not too picky.
Ah, I see. Your help has been invaluable.
Hopefully I can have this project up and running in a month or two.

I found a great rattle can paint match if I decide to repaint it.

Attachments