Been catching up on my R/C Aircraft projects & flying ,, this season.

I74

Well,, I got the conversion upgrades done on both cars,, & am waiting on graphics from Callie graphics in NM.

The GT-1 was missing a bunch of graphics,, & also am replacing ones that were jacked up.

Am also having ones made to fill in the rear quarter billboards like how the real looking one in the pic is.

Have already detailed the wing posts black like the real ones,, plus the rear body corners black.
Also opened up the roof intake to make it functional,, & it also gives a bit of ram air cooling effect to the ESC & motors.

Steering servo's are 43g. digital mg's,, & I modded stuff & made mounts ect. for those to fit.
They turned out really good & solid on both cars,, & function real well & smooth also. :)

Once I got the brushed GT-1 60a. controller dialed in,, it frigg'n screams !!
Haven't tried it outside yet,, but it seems with the 2 - 370 Mabuchi brushed motors wired in parallel,, every bit of what my 1/12 & 1/10 scale hobby grade race cars used to be,, with them mostly having modded,, 540 brushed race motors,, but running Nicds,, or Nmh packs,, ''not'' the 3s - 1600ma 55c Lipo pack in this one. :p

Also modded & tightened up the steering components & shimmed the rear suspension pivot with nylon washers to get rid of the side to side slop.
It actually pivots a bit there also,, kind'a like the old ''pan/ glass //carbon style'' - 2WD chassis 1/10 & 1/12 Associated & HPI ect. ones used to,, for cornering. :cool:

The ''Pulp Fiction'' / Pawn shop 962C,, I didn't take pics of the build on that,, but the 2430 -5800kv ''brushless'' set up went in real slick.

Brass Pinion gear was a real bitch though to remove on the stock 370 Mabuchi motor ,, & I had to destroy the motor to knock the shaft completely out of it,, to press the gear off,, with doing so in a hobby vise using a stainless pin to drive the shaft out of the gear,, & a socket behind it for the shaft to move through. :eek:

Went on the brushless motor ''a lot '' better, & didn't ''F'' the gear up, fortunately.

Tried the 962 out in the driveway the other day,, but didn't get to open it up,, & barely just over 1/2 throttle for a split second @ a time,, doing laps in the driveway..

It handles really well, with doing my tricks,, in tightening things ect. on that one also.

Got 2 - 2s - 1500 60c ''ZEEE'' packs on the way for it,, as my test packs that were given to me,, are pretty much junk, & wore out.

Honestly don't know which one is going to be faster now,, as I'am really surprised how much gut's the GT-1 has now !

Theoretically,, the brushless 962 should leave the GT-1 in the dust.

We shall see,, when I get them out on a ''smooth'' deserted street or large parking lot,, once the salt & sand gets washed away ..

Might even get my Buddy Fred to shoot some vid. ..

Will post & put up more pics again once I get the graphics done. ;)

I
100_7360.JPG 100_7361.JPG 100_7362.JPG 100_7363.JPG porsche-911-gt1-type-993-n25-le-mans-1996-143-minichamps-403966625.jpg

I74

Got a nice ''large'' parking lot on the way to pick up the O'lady from work in a couple of hrs..

Am taking both cars,, to see what they are like opened up,, as long as the parking lot is fairly cleaned off & in good shape.

Don't have the new 2s - 1500 60c packs for the 962 yet,, but will run it with the best of the 2 junk - 2s packs, & see what happens ...

It's frigg'n cold out, but thin Jersey cotton gloves work good ''briefly'' for being able to use the controllers.

On my air radios when it's cold,, I cut a notch in the thumb of them for controlling the sticks. ;)

I

Last edited:

I74

I've done that!
I have even installed skis on this plane.
When it's super cold the Monocote on the wings tends to shatter. - Ask me how I know.

View attachment 299150
I don't see any stinking skis ??? LOL :D:p

That Plane looks from the 70's,, & also looks around a .40 size engine, with perhaps in a .60 size airframe ??

Wing looks fully symmetrical also,, & am guessing a basic aerobatic sport trainer ? :cool:

I74

Well ,, ran both cars for around 5 min. each,, & they did pretty good.

The GT-1 did the best all around, & is pretty quick.
Am guessing it averaged around 30mph, & still had around 80% batt. left even after a 5 min. run !

The 962's brushless motor, is a speed motor not a torque motor,, with the 5800kv per volt.
It takes a bit to get it spooled up in high gear,, but sounds like an EDF Jet once there,, & is super smooth ! :p:cool:

Trans axel on that is a very clever design,, which has a slider high / low locking lever , that actuates a 2 step slider gear for torque or speed.

Switched to low,, it's as quick as the GT-1 ,, but faster in high gear, once spooled up.

Took the body off of it to do a bit more front suspension & rear axels tightening mods.,, so I figured I'd snap a pic. of some of the layout for you Guys to see.

That cover is removable,, & I cut out the large opening.
The alum. tab brackets securing the steer servo,, were actually Mosfet heat sinks from one of the stock boards,, & work like they were made for this mod ! :D

Can't wait to try them out again,, especially with the new packs for the 962 ! ;)

I

100_7365.JPG

Mr. Pink

I don't see any stinking skis ??? LOL :D:p

That Plane looks from the 70's,, & also looks around a .40 size engine, with perhaps in a .60 size airframe ??

Wing looks fully symmetrical also,, & am guessing a basic aerobatic sport trainer ? :cool:
Yup, the plane is a Sterling Fledgling with a K&B 0.40 engine. I still have the engine.
This is the trainer plane I learned to fly with.
I'm thinking the year was 1975.
I thought I might have a picture of the skis, but all I could find was this one with wheels in the snow.
I found some online pix of the box and plans.

Fledgling Box.jpeg

Fledgling Plans.jpeg

I74

I do remember that kit in the Hobby shops back in the 70's,, especially with the blue & yellow trim on the box,, as I always liked blue & yellow color combos,, like the Blue Angels,, & the LA Rams,, when they went from white horns to yellow on their helmets.

River Rat Ron

I do remember that kit in the Hobby shops back in the 70's,, especially with the blue & yellow trim on the box,, as I always liked blue & yellow color combos,, like the Blue Angels,, & the LA Rams,, when they went from white horns to yellow on their helmets.
Like minds….blue / yellow is a favorite….black / silver…. red / black….blue / white

I74

Like minds….blue / yellow is a favorite….black / silver….
Black / silver,, - ''Oakland Raiders''! ;)

The Wifey's cousin was the QB for the Oakland Raiders,, ''way back in the day'',,, the ''late great'' - ''all pro'' - ''Mad bomber'' - Daryle La Monica. :cool:

Couple of pics...

With John Madden,, & with '' Mr. stick'm'' - Fred Biletnikoff . LOL
merlin_199742895_ec2e849e-a707-40d0-9075-1d2e3325d44d-superJumbo.jpg c0551adee586665678c28355c9f464d4.jpg

Last edited:

I74

News flash !!

On my prev. post on how fast the 962C ran,, I found out with the new good pack,, that I had the motor reversed, & only around 25% forward power !
Reversed 2 of the motor wires ,, & reversed the throttle on the Tx also,, & now it is ''O.M.G.'' !!!

With having the motor wired with the matching ''default'' color codes ,, it was actually ''only'' in the ESC ''default'' ''25%'' reverse gain mode also ! :oops:

Haven't tried it outside yet,, but theoretically now,, & with the new packs,, it should be capable to hit around 50 !

Vid I seen with a Guy that did a ''lower kv'' mod on one,, that sucker was really fast,, & this one with the higher kv ,,should be even quite a bit faster.

When I spooled it up for a quick second a bit ago,, the rear tires were separating from the rims !! o_O:eek:

Probably won't be able to hardly run it more than 2/3 throttle safely now.

Will take it for a spin on the ''large'' parkade lot on the way home from work tomorrow, if not raining. ;)

I

Last edited:

I74

Update on the test run this morning of the 962C.

Dropped the Wifey off @ work this morning & tried the car out in her parking lot.

Got one word for it now, ''SICK'' ! :p

Rolling the throttle on,, you have to do it ''real slow'',, even when the car is doing over 30+mph,, or it will break the tires loose,, even on concrete ! o_O

Think I probably got it up to around 40,, & never could even get it up over 1/2 throttle,,, with the ''sick'' power ,, & running out of room ''real quick'' !!

I

I74

Looks like I might be able to start flying some Planes here this month ! :)

Think'n around the 3rd week,, it should be good for about 1/2 my stuff.

Figuring Slope flying will probably start in May.

I got a 675+ watt. motor ''on 3s Lipo'' , for the - ''48'' QQ Extra 300. :p

Its a SS -XV3 - ''2820'' - 1250- kv motor.

I pressed the shaft forward, & chamfered the mount ,, to help with cooling.

Batt's. I'am flying on this one,, are ''ZEEE'' - 3000ma ''3s'' 12.6 volt - 55c packs.

''Really good'' quality Lipo's,, for not a lot of bread. ;)

Sucker ought'a rock !! :cool:

Lost the pic of it though,, sorry. :oops:

I

Last edited:

I74

Refinished the canopy on the QQ Extra again,, as after the first time,, the foam under the paint Gator skinned from the sun .:oops:

This time I used glass mat before painting, & that ought to hopefully do the trick.

Paint I used this time is really cool Krylon Fusion - ''metallic dark metal''.

Think it turned out pretty pimp ! :cool::)

I

100_7366.JPG 100_7371.JPG 100_7370.JPG