Benelli Dynamo Help

I just purchased a 1972 Benelli Dynamo. Would anyone be able to post a picture of what the light/horn/engine kill switch should look like? Was the horn chrome or black? Did it have a brake light combined with the tail light? If so...could you post a picture of the brake light switch and how it mounted?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat

Last edited:
I just purchased a 1972 Benelli Dynamo. Would anyone be able to post a picture of what the light/horn/engine kill switch should look like? Was the horn chrome or black? Did it have a brake light combined with the tail light? If so...could you post a picture of the brake light switch and how it mounted?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat
welcome pat.........hang on there are guys here who may help you, and if not, I can tell you that there is a site devoted to benellis, or monkey wards bikes as some know them...........on yahoo........look for Montgomery wards riverside forum on yahoo.com.........great group of guys there too.........

markus

If my Benelli stash was not packed away about 180 miles north of my I could be of better help but for now this all I can do. The Dynamo's and compacts came a few different ways alot of time sold as "woods bikes" without lights but benelli offered a pretty complete lighting/speedo kit for them as options. I have at least one left for my bike but its up in the barn so I dont know the part numbers for it. The only parts manual I have here is for my 1972 Hurricane 65, they always came with lights (same as what was in the "kit") though. I scanned that part of the catalog I have here to maybe help you a little.

the switch for the lights is a CEV Benelli part number is cb 1895 this switch is very common, Rupp used them even as well as just about anything small coming out of Italy. Up until recently there was alot of them available new, but that has dried up and usually they are now about $70 new, they are making a reproduction unit though thats about half that ( I dunno the quality) I think the CEV part number is 8052.1

The brake lever switch is kinda of hard to explain, on my first scan though in the top left corner of the second section of parts (just above the the exhaust in the drawing) you see a little triangle with a bunch of small parts. Well that is the "switch" :doah: Basically, it all goes on the brake lever housing and lever, it replaces some parts already there and pretty much just make it a 2 pieces of metal touch to make the Switch. Again If I was up at the other house I could probably show these part loose and on a bike. I am not sure what the dynamo's used (if anything) on the rear/footbrake though. CEV also made pretty much the same throttle assy's with a microswitch built in the the lever arm too though. and you could easily put one of those on too.

Markus,

Thanks a ton!! That exploded view is so very helpful. I've been looking for one of those books for my year bike but haven't found one yet. That brake light assembly is not what I expected...it is more complex than just a switch. It may be difficult to find all of that...dang. And yet the hunt for parts is part of the enjoyment of a restoration.

Now I know that all the electrical functions were combined in one switch. And which switch to look for!

Thanks again for all your help...very much appreciated!

Pat

Last edited:
Thanks purepop for the picture! I saw that peg on my machine too but never thought it would be for this. My new harness came with that clamp but I didn't know what it was for.

So both the front and rear brake actually break the circuit for the light to come on?? That is the opposite of what I thought would happen. Am I missing a relay then? The wiring diagram does not show one. Sort of confusing how this works.

Thanks again for all the help.

Pat

Does anyone here have an engine/transmission diagram they could put up? I am in the middle of putting my 73 back together and I am running into an issue with the clutch and pushrod assembly