Bigger tires

Anyone with experience increasing the size of tires? I understand how gearing ratios work and that theoretically it should give me a higher ratio and thus less torque but a higher top speed. Does anyone have experience doing this in the real world, ie do you notice a difference in power? I have experience from my Jeep that bigger tires=no guts from the engine.

Now yes, you could upgrade the rear gear ratio for the bigger tires, but I’m saying is it a necessity?

Thanks in advance
-Herzog

Yes you can..as you adjust gears or tire size you will see a change in top speed unless the engine is lugging due to too small a rear sprocket..like the trailmasters 38t rear sprocket..it needs at least a 50 to get full use of the engine at low and top end = more fun..the tc as far as i know(I'm new to them) is one to one on full lockup so you can really think the sprocket on the front is 10t and suggested 50t rear sprocket = 40.6 mph at 3600 rpm..the stock governed rpm https://www.gokartsupply.com/ratios.htm

Last edited:
Yes you can..as you adjust gears or tire size you will see a change in top speed unless the engine is lugging due to too small a rear sprocket..like the trailmasters 38t rear sprocket..it needs at least a 50 to get full use of the engine at low and top end = more fun..the tc as far as i know(I'm new to them) is one to one on full lockup so you can really think the sprocket on the front is 10t and suggested 50t rear sprocket = 40.6 mph at 3600 rpm..the stock governed rpm https://www.gokartsupply.com/ratios.htm
Ayo thanks raskin

Edit: Should I change it to a 50 with stock tire size still? I will be riding in mountains and in places where trails don’t exist always so I wouldn’t mind some extra torque down low, or would that be a weigh down on top speed because I want that too, indecision haha:scared:

Last edited:
Ayo thanks raskin

Edit: Should I change it to a 50 with stock tire size still? I will be riding in mountains and in places where trails don’t exist always so I wouldn’t mind some extra torque down low, or would that be a weigh down on top speed because I want that too, indecision haha:scared:
I say at least 50t..if you watch the vids cars and cameras made that mb200-2 buildup it has a 60t which at 3600 rpm estimated at about 34mph top end w a 19" tire..so if riding mostly hills and mounds that's not a bad choice..of course if you fit 21"x7.00-8 tires you will need about a 66t one to make same speeds...careful of tire width the 7.00 means around 7" wide which of you go further your chain will rub..i have a collection of rear sprockets which is growing all the time coz I'm dialing in the sweet spots on several mini bikes....:laugh: 52t.is the one i want for all around top end and low end scat.. or 56t ↩this one not bad for climbing still give you around 36mph top end w a 19" tire:freakout:

Last edited:
I say at least 50t..if you watch the vids cars and cameras made that mb200-2 buildup it has a 60t which at 3600 rpm estimated at about 34mph top end w a 19" tire..so if riding mostly hills and mounds that's not a bad choice..of course if you fit 21"x7.00-8 tires you will need about a 66t one to make same speeds...careful of tire width the 7.00 means around 7" wide which of you go further your chain will rub..i have a collection of rear sprockets which is growing all the time coz I'm dialing in the sweet spots on several mini bikes....:laugh: 52t.is the one i want for all around top end and low end scat.. or 56t ↩this one not bad for climbing still give you around 36mph top end w a 19" tire:freakout:
How hard is it to switch out the rear sprockets? Because I’m thinking that if I leave the stock sprocket and have some better top speed now, I can later switch to a bigger sprocket when I move to the mountains for summer and have some better torque:scooter:

That's a good idea..its ok on the flats..you will notice the high end bog where you have lotsa throttle left and can't get any more speed coz of the tiny rear sprocket...your bike has a 420 sprocket.i just undo the chain and loosen sprocket and then slide axel out just enough to retrieve sprocket and slip the other on..this link to blank sprockets..scroll down to see other 420 sizes..they did have a 56t that may be available later https://www.ebay.com/itm/401430818210 you just lay the sprocket off the bike on the other sprocket center it and spray paint the holes so you know where to drill.if can use a drill and a tape measure that's all you need..ready made ones can be had at gopowersports with smaller choices only good one they got is for a 60t .. keep the calculator link and study it and you will make an informed choice..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's a good idea..its ok on the flats..you will notice the high end bog where you have lotsa throttle left and can't get any more speed coz of the tiny rear sprocket... keep the calculator link and study it and you will make an informed choice..:thumbsup:
Hmm, well if there’s high end bog that means there’s room.... for improvement:devil2:
Is all chain/sprocket the same or is there a specific type I need to look for?

That's a good idea..its ok on the flats..you will notice the high end bog where you have lotsa throttle left and can't get any more speed coz of the tiny rear sprocket...your bike has a 420 sprocket.i just undo the chain and loosen sprocket and then slide axel out just enough to retrieve sprocket and slip the other on..this link to blank sprockets..scroll down to see other 420 sizes..they did have a 56t that may be available later https://www.ebay.com/itm/401430818210 you just lay the sprocket off the bike on the other sprocket center it and spray paint the holes so you know where to drill.if can use a drill and a tape measure that's all you need..ready made ones can be had at gopowersports with smaller choices only good one they got is for a 60t .. keep the calculator link and study it and you will make an informed choice..:thumbsup:
I edited ↗ the post see [MENTION=58239]HerzogVonSchilf[/MENTION]

Last edited: