bike frame what brand is it?

joshua. c.

I got this nice frame for free and am going to build it into a bike but I would like to know what I'm dealing with first. I've looked threw the mini bike pictures on minidoodle.com and couldn't find a match. the rear wheel mounts look to have been re welded at some point do to the poor looking welds and rust around the spot so they may not be original. and the forks being a different color might or might not be original either. also the gussets on the top of the rear tubes are the only welds connecting the top and bottom tubes. so what do you guys think it is?

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

markus

The frame is a Powerdyne, they did a run of bikes that copied the late 60's Rupps, you don't see them often and the only one I have ever seen was the Full suspension version. But you can spot the tells on the frame, the disc brake mount, the engine plate, the rear axle mounts, etc., I don't think the forks match the frame though

Only photo I have is a full suspension that in an ad for cycle club of america, There is an actual one in the photo section I think though:

joshua. c.

the bike in the picture has a lot of similarity's so that must be it. I just wish I had a picture of what this one is supposed to look like so I could decide if its feasible to restore it or better to just make a good rider out of it. it would be cool to own a rare restored bike but the parts may be next to impossible to find. do you think it used many of the same parts as the one in the picture? that might be a good starting point.

markus

Yea I think it was the first run of bikes they made, they formed in 1969 and everything seemed to be under the Hawk name at that point.

That ad is from my march 1970 mini bike guide, and if you actually read it they are describing a bike that's entirely different :laugh:

I would say that it was outfitted pretty much the same though as whats seen in the ad, I only knew Power-dyne to have fixed or external spring forks and usually if the big L bracket was on there it was outfitted with the disc brake and usually their signature alloy wheels

Heres that one in the gallery which is a roller, but in survivor shape

joshua. c.

I think at least the rim in the second picture might be the original. but I'm not sure about rim in the first, iv never seen this type of bike before and there aren't many pictures to go on. can anyone tell us if the rim in the first picture is originally from this bike?.