bird go kart?

just picked this up in a trade deal.

middle of the butterfly wheel says BIRD.

frame is in great shape, and is fully restorable.

trying to be sure what it is, so i can sell it. thanks. dan

We just got a bird go kart from a garage sale. It came with the mountain dew buick fiberglass shell. It says bird automotive built by ford performance inc. on the frame behind the seat. the serial number is 1873. How do you find info with the serial number? Does anyone know what year, model, or what it's worth?

Last edited:
We just got a bird go kart from a garage sale. It came with the mountain dew buick fiberglass shell. It says bird automotive built by ford performance inc. on the frame behind the seat. the serial number is 1873. How do you find info with the serial number? Does anyone know what year, model, or what it's worth?

Welcome to the site.:thumbsup:

If it doesn't say Bird Engineering Fremont Nebraska it's likely not Bird built as we know them. Bird did build a lot of stuff in the 60s including T-Bucket roadster kits so ya never know. You should post pics. Sounds like you got a yard kart someone covered in random stickers, nothing wrong with that but a Bird kart is special.

Now with pics it does look like Bird built it given the tag but the Ford thing is still baffling given it's a Buick bodied car, you need pics of the tag to document it. If it has real Ford Performance provenance then you have something special. However you will not get a value here, Ebay is the place for that.

Last edited:
Yeah I took a closer look and the tag says bird automotive built by total performance inc. that part of the tag is really small and hard to read. But it's not ford its total. It says west dodge road Omaha Nebraska. I don't know anything about bird. Is it anything special? We just want to fix it up for our kids and were just wondering if we overpaid and if we would ever be able to sell it for that later on. We spent 100 for it. But it runs just needs the carb cleaned I think.

I've lived in Omaha for 46 years near West Dodge Road and don't recall Bird, being there but I wouldn't have been looking for it. There is our was a Bird Mini-Wheels Corporation out in Elkhorn, NE. Elkhorn is a small town way out west just off of Dodge. Profile on the Web says they have been around since 1986. Give them a call! Last known # was 402-289-3779

I found an old magazine article that said they offered an upscale off road version of A Falcon minicycle. Sounds like they did a little of everything.

Unfortunately when I looked up the address I found with the phone number, Google maps shows it as a massive home on a golf course. I suspect this might be the retired owner who kept the company name. Maybe not.

Hello, I have a Don (snake) Prudhomme Pepsi Challenge promotional go kart and I am looking for some information about when it was made and what was the original cost and what the amount that one was recently auctioned off for.

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.