Boggs down when throttle is pulled

Sieve

Tecumseh HS50 cant make it past idle. also idle is ruff. i think its carb adjustments so if anybody can suggest what to set it to it would be a great help.

Sieve

Sorry for the necropost but I gotta bring this thread back to life. No carb adjustments seem to help, and it still has the same problems. I did tighten the main screw on the bottom of the bowl with a screwdriver before but I don't think I put it too far in. Any advice is appreciated.

Carburetor stumble

Like Crazy said if your carb and gas tank had fuel in it over 30 - 45 days fuel has a chemical break down and turns into varnish and since you can't come up off of idle then I would concentrate in the hi speed jet area. Take out the jet and inspect the needle end for distortion from being bottomed out by overtighting and maybe little rings cut into the metal or slightly bent if that's ok lightly sand the needle off - then make sure it has a brass washer on the end of the spring and a rubber O ring on top of it. If the O ring is slightly cut or flat or missing that will cause a stumble big time...

Otherwise take some carb cleaner and spray into the hole and blow the passage out with compressed air. Do this 10 - 15 times with a shot of carb cleaner in the can and blow out the passage over and over - especially if you had signs of grime from bad fuel left in the system. Do the same for the idle circuit also. Without seeing your carb the Idle may require a O ring also and in some carbs they have a check ball that hangs up and should rattle when you shake the carb so might as well get hold of a exploded view of your carb and see what parts are involved with your carb. If that improves it some but still not performing right then overhaul the carb. Out side of that check the intake gaskets or carb to intake gasket - some gaskets sold are way to thin I like the thick ones... Also make sure the bowl is spun around in the correct position to where the float goes all the way down into the bowls deepest point for correct fuel level and check the fuel inlet valve for binding in it's seat and see if the float is correctly set to proper height...

Threw a Rod

Last edited:
the high speed bowl nut has two holes in the side one big and one tiny. its in the threaded area. always make sure that is clear. you can use the needle wire to poke it clear