Bonanza BC1000 My Windber Build

Here is my current project. Bonanza BC1000, this is a early bike according to the Bonanza guys. Around a 1967 or so. What I want is to build this as a road bike for use in parades here in my own town, as-well as my annual pilgrimage to Windber. So what I want is a very solid bike that will haul a$$ but at the same time it needs to run well in traffic and idling conditions.
I have about 10 different directions I've thought of going on the power plant but I'm leaning toward a Big Block Tecumseh and a Torque Converter. But that's still up in the air.
The Bike:

markus

Nice! I have its twin down here in FL, even has a little tweak in the right fork lower like yours:doah: I'm in the same boat, been kicking around all sorts of engine choices for it. Only thing I have gotten done is blast the wheels and get a set of the larger General tires From Frank, traded something for a repop chainguard, and found a drum brake assy.

I'll be watching for ideas:thumbsup:

well I'm just learnin' about them thar 'nanzas.......so the only difference between the 1000 and the 1100 is front suspension?

looks like a nice project Randy......got an H40 that would look sweet in there...:deal:

delray

if you want to move good up and down them hills in windber randy. i would say a good running motor (big block or sm block hs-40 or hs50 and a torque converter..........:rolleyes:

Hent

Torque converter and suspension for the trails, good motor, clutch and loud exhuast for the parade. Suspension optional!

Heres the seat. This is the plain seat that Bonanza used on the entry level bikes. I had Kenny do this one. In hind sight I think I should have used the fancy seat but my original intention was to restore this to factory specs. So plain seat it shall be.

This surprised me! I've read some horror story's about Go_power wheels, some where guy's never got them apart. I bought this bike 2 years ago. At that time I soaked the wheels in BP Blaster. I literally took a screw driver and unscrewed the halves and pulled them off of the tires!
I bead blasted the wheels and painted them with Aluma-Coat. These are ready to go back together. I think I'll use the bigger 5.30 tires..

And my bent forks:crying: On a good note, the frame needs nothing, but these forks have the bend and also a twist. It almost looks like they where welded up wrong? Either way I'll put some heat to them and get them going in the right direction.

I just straightened my forks:scooter: They are as close as my patience will allow:laugh:
They where bent back and the left handle bar was twisted forward.

I would recommend a setup like I brought to Windber. It was a H60 lighted with a tav 30 series. It was a very good climber on the big hill and it made it thru the three mile trail two times with no problems. Plus the big block tec had lights for night riding. The 30 series clutch worked good with the gearing I chose. It would climb with no problem and on the flat top it would haul my butt. You need to find a rear swing arm and adapt it on for more comfort.

markus

Randy are you going to keep the scrub brake? I have not tried yet, but I dunno if it fits with the larger tires? Also any chance you can get me some measurments of the seat mounts at your convenience. One got cut off on mine sometime in its life (front) I think I can make out where it was but I just want to be sure.

Randy are you going to keep the scrub brake? I have not tried yet, but I dunno if it fits with the larger tires? Also any chance you can get me some measurments of the seat mounts at your convenience. One got cut off on mine sometime in its life (front) I think I can make out where it was but I just want to be sure.
No, the scrub brake is off. I'd keep it but theres no way it would work with the 5.30 tires I want to use. I'm putting a Bonanza brake inside the sprocket/drum. A very generous member here hooked me up with the factory parts:thumbsup:

The front seat mount is the same as the rear and they are 7.5" C2C of the seat mounting bolts.

Got my new 60T Sprocket for the Go-Powers and also was able to find a original brake thanks to a member here!
Mocked them up and everything seems fine!:scooter: