Bonanza headlight switch locations help?

I need some help with dimensions again.

I ordered this headlight but I'm not sure where the holes for the switches should be drilled. It seems from pics the on off should be center top about 1.5 inches back.
Hi- lo should be at 1:00 and 1.5 inches back?
I posted this in my project thread too
I did search around quickly here but does anyone have any more specific hole locations and angles please?

I ordered this headlight but I'm not sure where the holes for the switches should be drilled. It seems from pics the on off should be center top about 1.5 inches back.
I did search around quickly here but does anyone have any more specific hole locations and angles please?

mustangfrank

I just picked up an original headlight with switches and indicator but I cannot find the damn fabric tape measure I had anywhere. If no one else chimes in I'll clean out the junk drawer and look again for you.

R21 Trading mentions including a template to drill for the second switch in one of their listings, not sure if they would help without a purchase but worth a shot.

Here's a couple pictures of the housing, just eyeballing it with a hard tape they're both 1-7/8" OC from the rear of the bezel and 1-7/8" OC apart from each other.

1607490480060683607515072374133.jpg 16074905181916916303743463448514.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up an original headlight with switches and indicator but I cannot find the damn fabric tape measure I had anywhere. If no one else chimes in I'll clean out the junk drawer and look again for you.

R21 Trading mentions including a template to drill for the second switch in one of their listings, not sure if they would help without a purchase but worth a shot.

Here's a couple pictures of the housing, just eyeballing it with a hard tape they're both 1-7/8" OC from the rear of the bezel and 1-7/8" OC apart from each other.
Thanks Frank, from your picture the first and second switch appear to be clocked at around 12:00 and 2:00 does that seem about right? Thanks again for the help!

I did actually order this from R21 but it only came with a diagram, no hole pattern, maybe because this does not have the indicator?

mustangfrank

Thanks Frank, from your picture the first and second switch appear to be clocked at around 12:00 and 2:00 does that seem about right? Thanks again for the help!

I did actually order this from R21 but it only came with a diagram, no hole pattern, maybe because this does not have the indicator?
Definitely straight up 12 o'clock on the top, 2 o'clock looks about right for the high/low, maybe 2:30(?), definitely same distance between them as they are from the bezel, all OC.

I gotta run errands in the morning but when I get home I think if I use masking tape, mark it and then remove tape and measure we would have a repeatable measurement. Not sure I trust those fabric tapes even if I find it.

Definitely straight up 12 o'clock on the top, 2 o'clock looks about right for the high/low, maybe 2:30(?), definitely same distance between them as they are from the bezel, all OC.

I gotta run errands in the morning but when I get home I think if I use masking tape, mark it and then remove tape and measure we would have a repeatable measurement. Not sure I trust those fabric tapes even if I find it.
Thank you, extremely helpful!

mustangfrank

Thank you, extremely helpful!
No problemo, it's what I love about this site, someone always has been there or done that, glad to contribute back. I stopped short of pulling the switches and measuring that one I had in hand, stopped by storage and noticed my Super Bronc light (same but side mount) switches were a little closer together and my other Bonanza light was similar. This one has a flashlight bulb mounted sideways for the indicator so I wonder if they moved the second switch down more than normal to avoid it.

Only constants are they are all the same approximate distance from the bezel and all three of mine have the top/on-off switch at 12 o'clock. High/low switch seems to be variable clocking.

Kinda hoping someone else with an original chimes in, have a feeling it was not a very critical measurement to anyone else or what day of the week it was kinda thing.

Only constants are they are all the same approximate distance from the bezel and all three of mine have the top/on-off switch at 12 o'clock. High/low switch seems to be variable clocking.

Kinda hoping someone else with an original chimes in, have a feeling it was not a very critical measurement to anyone else or what day of the week it was kinda thing.
Sweet I'll probably shoot for 1-7/8 and 12 and 1:30 so they are closer together!