Brake lever protection.

Are there any bolt on handle bar guards for Coleman bikes? I haven't found any so far but it seems such an obvious product that it must exist.

I ask, because I seem to break my brake lever all the time. Its cheap to replace, but really annoying. I've never had what I would call a wreck, but any time I dump my bike, or it just falls over for some reason, the brake handle instantly snaps.

I've even been thinking about fabricating whole new handle bars with 'inboard' handles (I don't know what they are really called) like I've seen on some bicycles, just so the easiest broken part of the bike isn't the part that hits the ground first.

I guess I should clarify, guards that don't suck, hopefully that someone has actually used.

I actually tried these ones, that where very similar, but they where a total joke.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BK9B3VT...=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

First, they didn't actually fit, despite supposedly being universal, I had to bend them to fit.....which was easy, because they where butter soft aluminum.

Second, the expanding plug thing that goes into the end of the tube, doesn't ever become tight enough to do anything. The bolts strip out long before they can actually apply enough friction. But the other tube clamps have the same problem....and the bars themselves just smush out of the way, even from just dropping the bike. At least the ones I got, where total junk and just bent and rotated out of the way when I dropped the bike the last time and the lever snapped anyway.

Those steel sheet metal ones look interesting....ever tried them? any good?

Buy a steel brake lever. They might bend, but you won't break one.
Try looking at your local Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki dealers. They sell all kinds of off road accessories.

DaddyJohn

I’ve not installed any bark buster type handguards on a mini before, but have on dirt bikes. I’ve used the cheap Chinese ones (as seen below) and they usually work pretty well. However, I like to drill and tap some round stock that’s sized to slip inside the handlebar and weld it in place. It gives something solid to bolt the guard into that won’t come loose over time or when you hit something.

Last edited:
Most of those handguards are just that: HANDGUARDS. They are supposed to protect hands from scratches and rocks thrown by other riders.
I seriously doubt they were designed to keep the bar from hitting the ground.

Buy a steel brake lever. They might bend, but you won't break one.
Try looking at your local Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki dealers. They sell all kinds of off road accessories.
Would any of those fit my mini bike? The first time I broke the lever, I searched online for an upgraded steel lever and had no hits.

Most of those handguards are just that: HANDGUARDS. They are supposed to protect hands from scratches and rocks thrown by other riders.
I seriously doubt they were designed to keep the bar from hitting the ground.
If that is the case, perhaps I will have to invent one. It seems like a no brainer to protect the first part of the bike to hit the ground in a dump, from hitting the ground.

Go look at a motorcycle dealer's parts department. You will find some nice steel cages to keep MX riders from breaking their hands.
But seriously, find a steel brake lever.

https://hent.com/brake-lever-split-mountng-collar-adjuster-hardware-for-7-8-handelbars-only/
Awesome. That is the first steel brake lever I've seen online. Ordering....

Also....decided to make some new handle bars. I guess in the bicycle world they are called 'butterfly' handles.
Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 5.05.45 PM.png Anyway, took almost no time to make these and should offer a lot of protection to the controls.