Briggs 5 hp Governor & Throttle Questions

Just wondering what governor spring I need (from the OldMiniBikes Warehouse site) for my 1976 Briggs 5 hp with the Pulsa-Jet carburetor. I'm "restoring" the bike and want to replace all serviceable parts to new ones. The bike also doesn't have anything as far as a throttle on it. I can post close up pics of the carb if needed, but I don't see any traces of linkages for throttle. I'm getting all new grips, foot peg grips, need a twist throttle, linkages, and governor spring. Have I missed something?? Which ones from the site do I need? I can't tell what is for my engine and setup.

Pictures of my engine and bike can be seen here for reference.http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/bamabugleboy/library/JC%20Penney%20Cat%20Mini%20Bike%20Resto-Mod?sort=2&page=1

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I recommend you do a search, there is a lot of info about 5hp Briggs on this site and web. Problem is deciding how you want to hook up throttle. 1st issue if you want to put it back stock the linkage is convoluted, and has many parts, doesn't work very well for gokart/ minibike, Rube Goldberg IMO.

I decided to go with direct linkage to carb, works great, simple to install. If you leave your engine stock it will be safe, if you modify it to turn more revs, that's another problem, I don't recommend doing mod's unless you install billet flywheel 1st.

No guarantees, but this linkage will probably work on your engine.

Briggs Throttle Linkage Kit

My experience, this linkage works great on older 5hp Briggs FH, but not on the newer 5hp FunPower engines, which I don't think you have anyway.

I know how I want to hook it up. I want to use a twist grip throttle. Yes, I've decided that is the correct linkage kit for me; but what about the governor spring? Aren't I gonna need to replace that old one? I don't know how to tell which one is for my engine because OldMiniBikes Warehouse has several to choose from.

What do you mean by the stock linkage is convoluted? What does that mean? Is my linkage stock? I didn't see any linkage on mine at all from the handlebars to the engine.

Sorry, I should have said complicated instead of convoluted. I am just talking about the linkage on the engine that connects the throttle cable to the governor, then to the carb. Good luck getting it hooked up, was too complicated/ convoluted for me. That's the reason I bypassed it.

If you will search "briggs 5hp governor linkage" you will find a lot of people have your question.

The kit I linked, that you like, bypasses the governor. If you want to use the governor, that kit will not work.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with info that will help.

Oh ok. Is there not some kind of schematic or service manual out there that shows the correct hook up? OldMiniBikes Warehouse (and I am sure other places) has the parts, but I guess noone knows how all of that hooks up, or is supposed to hook up??

I think I have decided to remove the governor from the engine and use the Briggs Throttle Kit on this website. I will be doing some searching on exactly how to remove the govenor and set the throttle up the right way. Just updating you all.

I remove the side cover and push the pin holding the governor out of the side cover (from the outside with a punch). Then I cut off approx 1/2" of the pin and push it back into the side cover to seal that hole. For the governor arm shaft, I remove the shaft and thread in from the outside a 1/4 20 bolt to seal that hole.

The throttle linkage is pretty easy to hook up and if you search this site or kart sites, you should find some good examples of how to do it. :thumbsup: